Roasted Vegetable Baguette with Goat Cheese

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

With the warm weather approaching, I am suddenly in the mood for more vegetable oriented food.  My husband recently bought me a Mediterranean Cookbook and I am having fun thumbing down all sorts of pages of things to try.  This dinner is a variation on one of the recipes that I found.  Everything in this dish just screams the South of France.  Plus, it's good comfort food that is good for you!  If you don't like Goat cheese (or Chevre) then it is easily adjustable to your likes.  
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by: Jen
Ingredients:
For 2 sandwiches: 
2 Hoagie buns or a baguette
1 zucchini
1 red pepper
1 small onion (or 1/2 medium)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tube goat cheese (it usually comes in a cylinder type shape)
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
couple tsp Herbs de Provence (optional)
Dijon mustard (optional)
Eggplant, (optional)  I just don't like it.




Directions:
Slice your vegetables, lengthwise so as to fit inside your bun.  
 I know the recipe says "roasted" and IF you want to roast them, then toss all your vegetables in olive oil (and herbs).  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Then place vegetables on a roasting pan and bake in oven until fork tender, about 10 minutes.  


IF you want to do this on the grill, then slice them a little thicker and also toss your veggies with olive oil.  Place on the grill until fork tender.  (Or place veggies in a pan safe for your grill)


Personally, I sauteed my vegetables because it's a little faster.  (and I don't have access to a grill).  I heated up my olive oil and then added in my veggies.
 In case you can get your hands on some Herbs de Provence I highly recommend it.  They are (usually but not always) a blend of dried herbs such as savory, fennel, basil, thyme, and lavender.  I've seen them in World Market, Wegmans, and I'm sure that you can find them in other stores.  Cook them in with the vegetables.
 Cook the vegetables until fork tender over medium heat.  (about 5-8 min)
 While veggies are cooking, thinly slice your cheese.  Now if you don't like goat cheese, I'm sure that any other kind of cheese would work.  From mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or even Swiss.  Also, preheat your broiler in your oven to melt your cheese.
 Slice your hoagie buns (or baguette) down the middle without slicing it all the way through.  If desired, spread some Dijon mustard inside your buns.  Stuff with vegetables and then top with slices of cheese.  Place on the top shelf of your oven and melt the cheese just until it bubbles or gets toasty brown.  (only a couple minutes.  Do NOT walk away from your oven at this time to set the table or yell at kids)
 Serve with a good salad and drink.  


***********************

Want to see links to your favorite recipes from Recipe Shoebox in your Facebook feed?  Be sure to "LIKE" our Facebook page!   


4 comments:

Tea Tree Oil May 23, 2012 at 7:54 AM  

Hmmm..so yummy. Thank you for sharing that recipe. I will try this one. Hope it tastes good.

Lynda May 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM  

This looks so good as I'm really into veggies now too. Can't wait to try it!

Anonymous,  May 25, 2012 at 1:26 AM  

Ooooo! I can't wait to make these! You just said two things...I don't like eggplant...and Herbs de Provence...that's me! I make a similar vegetable saute, adding mushrooms and I recently though, why don't I make a massive batch and add it to pasta? Now I see this, and why not baguette! Thanks!!!

Minnie(@thelady8home) May 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM  

I can see its going to taste best when I serve it on dinner table! :D

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP