Creamy Pasta with Sausage

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It's taking time, but I am slowly getting back into the cooking groove again.   I'm perusing my cookbooks again, trying new recipes, and even taking pictures.  Now if I could just get back into the blogging groove too...

This pasta dish was excellent and will definitely be making repeat appearances on our menu!  I made a double batch of this for my family and some visiting relatives and there was not a single bit of it left over afterward.  If you're looking for a fuss-free crowd pleaser, then look no further...


Recipe SourceMrs. Schwartz's Kitchen
Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:


1 package (12-ounces) Italian Sausage (I loved this Niman Ranch brand--from Whole Foods)
1 lb penne pasta (or variety of your choice)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
2 cups cream or half and half
1-1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese + additional for garnish
1 cup frozen peas

Directions:
Start by taking the casing off of the sausage, cut a long slit in the casing and pull out the meat.  Add this to a large skillet and cook as you would ground beef.  (OR if your sausage is fully cooked like ours was, then you can just slice into "coins" and brown it in the frying pan.)


Remove the sausage from the frying pan and set aside.

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water. 

Add the onion to the frying pan and cook in the sausage grease for about 3 minutes.

  After 3 minutes, add the garlic.  Cook for an additional 2 minutes.  Add the red pepper to the pan and cook for about a minute.


Add the cream to the skillet and bring to a slight bubble on medium heat (but not a full boil). 

Add the cheese once it barely comes to a bubble.  Stir and bring back to a slight bubble and let it thicken.


Add the cooked pasta, sausage and peas to the pan.  Toss to coat in the sauce.

To serve, plate the pasta and top with additional Parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.  Makes 5-6 servings. 

Enjoy!


*****************************
Want to see links to your favorite recipes from Recipe Shoebox in your Facebook feed?  Be sure to "LIKE" our Facebook page!   


2 comments:

Minnie(@thelady8home) July 18, 2012 at 2:10 AM  

Wow! The very title itself sounds so yummy to me. :-D

Thanks a lot for sharing.

K July 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM  

This pasta is awesome! I highly recommend it!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP