Fresh Basil Pesto

Monday, September 12, 2011

This fresh pesto recipe has been my go-to recipe for the last few years and I was surprised recently to see that I'd never shared it here on the blog.   At least a few times each summer and fall, I will whip up a batch of this delicious pesto, and make some of my favorite pesto recipes (Pesto Tortellini Salad, Chicken Pesto PizzasPesto and Tomato Pasta, Turkey-Pesto Roll-Ups).  Usually I just make a half batch, since my spindly basil plants often don't have five cups of leaves at a time, but half-batch or full-batch we always manage to eat it all.  Besides the pesto recipes, we love to spread some on our sandwiches or use it as a meat marinade. What about you?  What are your favorite ways to use pesto?   

Recipe adapted slightly from:  Food Network:  Barefoot Contessa
Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

¼ cup walnuts
¼ cup pine nuts 
3 Tbs. minced garlic (~9 cloves)  (if you're not a huge garlic fan, then you may want to cut this amount in half)
5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1-¼ cups olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese


Directions:  Place the walnuts, pine nuts, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade (or in a blender). Process for 30 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the blender running, slowly add the olive oil and process until the pesto is finely pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute. Serve, or store the pesto in the refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top. Makes 2-1/2 cups.   Serve over pasta, as a pizza topping, stir into meatballs, spread onto sandwiches, or brush over meat as a marinade.  Enjoy! 

1 comments:

teresa September 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM  

gosh i love pesto, this is lovelY!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP