Chunky Apple Cake with Butterscotch Sauce

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This is one of those recipes that I'm not sure would have caught my eye, except for my 8-year-old perusing my cooking magazines/books and bookmarking it for me to try.  Then when I didn't make it fast enough for him, he volunteered to make it for us.  I had to help him with the butterscotch sauce, but thanks to the help of our awesome apple peeler/corer/slicer he did the whole cake by himself and let me take pictures of the process along the way! Despite it not being a recipe I chose myself, it turned out fabulously anyway.  It had great autumn flavor and and the butterscotch sauce topped off the moist apple-filled cake just perfectly! 


Source:  Taste of Home
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:

APPLE CAKE:

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
6 cups chopped peeled tart apples (it ended up being about 4 large Granny Smith apples)

BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream


Directions: 

For Apple Cake, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in vanilla.  Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda, gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff).  Stir in apples (it will seem like a lot of apples). 

Spread into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched.  Cool for 30 minutes before serving. 
For Butterscotch Sauce, combine brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until butter is melted.  Gradually add cream.  Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly .  Remove from heat.

Serve cake with warm butterscotch sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.  Enjoy!  


Don't miss a single recipe here at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up for free email updates on the right. 

4 comments:

Julie September 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM  

That sounds super...he did an amazing job! The sauce really makes it scrumptious, I'm sure :)

teresa September 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM  

mmmm, i can practically smell it from here, lovely! a perfect fall dessert.

Coleens Recipes September 19, 2011 at 3:28 AM  

I am SO making this recipe this week, that first photo is fantastic.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP