Goat Cheese and Herb Stuffed Chicken

Monday, September 19, 2011

Years ago a friend of mine made this for dinner. I loved it instantly. I had her tell me how it was done, and over the years I have made it many times. It sounds fancy and tastes great. So it's great for company. Especially when served aside a good peasant bread or roasted vegetables. You'll feel like you're in a fancy restaurant. But even better, is that it is so simple to make. One could easily make it without a sauce and it would be fine. If you're not a fan of goat cheese (chevre) or you can't find it in your store (although you should be able to), then you could use feta cheese instead.

Click here for printable recipe. 

The Ingredients:
3-4 chicken breasts (depending on how many people you're serving. Use 1 breast per person)
1 package goat cheese (get it in the cylinder tube)
Italian seasoning, thyme, rosemary, or other flavorful dried herbs (about 1 tsp per chicken)
toothpicks

For sauce:
1 small onion
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup cream

The Directions:
Slice chicken breasts mostly through, but not all the way so you can create a pocket. Try to slice it so that there is even thickness all around.
Slice small rounds of the goat cheese. (about 1/2 inch thick). You'll need one slice per breast. Spread cheese evenly into pocket.Sprinkle herbs into pocket. The first time I had this my friend used dried rosemary. I personally love Herbs de Provence (if you can find them). But Italian seasoning or even just Thyme works great. It depends on what you like best.Secure pocket with toothpicks. I recommend sticking them perpendicular to the pocket opening as shown below instead of threading it. I threaded one with a toothpick and when it was cooked it was really hard to get out.Brown both sides of chicken in hot skillet on stove. Once browned transfer to oven safe pan and finish cooking chicken in oven (about 20 minutes depending on thickness of your chicken). Or if you're really comfortable with cooking chicken on the stove then cover it and cook it on the stove top until chicken is cooked through. I usually do the oven because I'm used to it. If you don't want to brown it, then by all means you can cook it entirely in the oven for about 1/2 hour. If you want to make a sauce to go with it I advice using a skillet that can also go in the oven. (less dishes to wash that way!) Once the chicken is cooked all the way, you can serve it now, or continue with a sauce. (Hopefully if you're using an oven safe skillet you remembered to use an oven mitt to remove said pan from the oven. Let me tell you how much it hurts all over your hand when you forget and grab hold of that hot handle.) Anyway, remove the chicken from the pan and cover with foil while you prepare the sauce.
Melt butter in skillet and add chopped onions. Sautée until brown.
Add cream to pan and stir until slightly thickened. Add more herbs, salt, or pepper for taste.Add chicken back to pan and serve immediately.

4 comments:

Lara September 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM  

Yum...it looks so fancy, yet so easy too. What a great Sunday meal.

teresa September 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM  

mmm! i can see why you liked it so much! i love that filling!

Susan September 21, 2011 at 6:41 PM  

Looks good! What temperature in the oven?

Jen September 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

Oops. Sorry. I cooked the chicken at 350 degrees. (I almost always cook chicken at 350.)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP