Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Frosting

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Yum.  Yum.  Try them soon.  The end. 


Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:
ROLLS:


2 Tbs. yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110-120 degrees F)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup melted butter
couple drops of orange food coloring (if desired)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
3-1/2 - 5 cups all purpose flour

FILLING:

2 Tbs. butter, melted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1-2 Tbs. cinnamon (I used 2 Tbs., but got feedback that that amount might be too much for some people.  If you're nervous about it being too spicy, then I recommend using only 1 Tbs. instead)


CARAMEL FROSTING: 

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
ROLLS:  Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Wait 5 minutes.  Add pumpkin, sugar, salt, egg, melted butter, food coloring (if using), cloves, and cinnamon; mix well.  Slowly add flour 1 cup at a time until dough is smooth and elastic.  (for me it only took 3-1/2 cups to get to that point).  Turn into a lightly greased bowl, cover, and set in a warm place until double in bulk.  Punch down dough and let rest for 5 more minutes.  Roll dough into a large rectangle.


This is where I decided to add the food coloring to give it a little festive autumn flair.

FOR FILLING:  Brush dough with 2 tablespoons melted butter.  In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon, then  sprinkle evenly over butter. 

Starting with the long side of the rectangle, roll up jelly-roll style.  Pinch seams to seal, then using a sharp serrated knife trim off any excess dough at either end, then cut rolls into about 12 1-inch slices.  Place rolls cut side up in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.  Cover and let rise until double, 30-45 minutes (it was cold the day I made these, so it took them significantly longer than that to raise). 
 

Bake rolls at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 

CARAMEL FROSTING:  In a small saucepan, heat butter until melted.  Stir in brown sugar and milk, then cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute.  Transfer to small bowl and cool mixture for about 10 minutes.  Stir in vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar.  Beat with electric mixer until well blended. 



If necessary, add more sugar for desired consistency.  Drizzle caramel frosting on rolls as soon as they come out of the oven.   Let cool until warm, then add the rest of the frosting.  Makes about 12 servings. 


Enjoy! 


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up for free email updates on the right. 

****

9 comments:

Meg Luby October 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

i have in fact NEVER made my own cinnamon rolls. i WANT to and always have grand intentions to do so but, then i see the canned ones and my heart swells with love for my childhood staple of a treat...

and they are so much work to make on your own. compared to opening a preservative filled can, just way way too much.

however, this makes me want to make cinnamon rolls from scratch. not only do make it seem enjoyable and simple, the flavor combination of pumpkin and cinnamon is undeniably amazing.

thank you so much for sharing. i love your blog and this piece was a particular treat :)
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Rochelle October 12, 2011 at 4:42 AM  

To be honest, I don't really like the look of this. I'm not a fan of pumpkin at all, especially in deserts. However I love cinnamon rolls. Guess I will have to try it before judging it. Thanks for sharing this recipe :) Def going to be making it.

Kim October 12, 2011 at 7:47 AM  

Oh my, these wouldn't last long in my house at all. They look wonderful!

Jackie Koll October 31, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

I made these this weekend and, to be honest, we did not like them but I'm wondering - is the "filling" right? I looked up a bunch of cinnamon roll recipes and none of them call for 2 Tablespoons of Cinnamon - most only call for a teasoon or 2 to go with 1 FULL cup of sugar. I'm thinking that the taste we did not like was the over powering cinnamon? I hate posting that we didn't like something because it is just our opinion but even as I was mixing up the sugar/cinnamon and wondered about the amount . ..

Lara November 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM  

Hi Jackie,
I did make them with the full 2 tablespoons and liked the zing that it gave (and had several people ask me for the recipe), but I appreciate that not everyone would have the same preference. I've changed the amounts to reflect those differences. Thank you for your comment.
Lara

Jackie Koll November 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM  

Thanks Lara - I am so a "letter of the law" recipe follower LOL Especially the first time I make something. I think you have some awesome recipes on this site :-) Thanks for taking time to post things and "allowing" us to try them and give back feedback :-)

Kami January 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM  

I have made these twice now and absolutely love them! For some reason though, I always come out with 18 so I make them in a 11 x 15 jelly roll pan. I only use 1 tlbs. of cinnamon and thought it was perfect. We really like cinnamon in our house though! I do only use 1/4 cup of brown sugar though because the first time I made it I had a ton of extra and my dough was completely covered! Thanks for the awesome recipe! I love anything with pumpkin :)

roxanne March 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM  

I have made these twice and I love them! I used whole wheat flour the first time, which I thought complimented the fall flavors. The second time I used half whole wheat flour and half bread flour. When I was eating the first one still warm and gooey from he oven, I literally thought, "This is better than Cinnabon." Thank you!

annalisa October 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM  

I just made these for a brunch this morning and they turned out awesome! Everyone loved them! They were soft and delicious!

I only put in 1 Tbs. of cinnamon in the filling part and I thought it turned out well. Still cinnamony and a good blend of all of the flavors. I loved them!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP