Update on Spencer

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I know you're mostly just here for the recipes and I promise I won't do this very often, but for those of you who are interested, here is a quick update on my son:

  • After four weeks in the hospital, then one glorious week at home, he just returned to the hospital yesterday to start his second round of chemo.  Each round takes about 4 weeks of in-hospital treatment. 

  • His fourteen-year-old sister and nine-year-old brother (2 out of his 4 siblings) were were found to be exact bone marrow matches, so his treatment now will include a bone marrow transplant which will be performed in a couple of months. Which sibling will be the actual donor will be decided later by a transplant team from the hospital.


  • Once he lost his hair, a whole host of friends and relatives shaved their heads in support (girls got hair cuts and donated it to Locks of Love, an organization which makes wigs for young cancer patients).

  • With the help of family and friends, we are doing our best to keep life at home as routine as possible and thankfully it seems that the rest of my kids are doing okay.  My little one is quite a bit snugglier than usual when I'm around, but I'm not minding that one bit. 
  • I haven't had much time to do much cooking lately, but thanks to the kindness of many friends who have been bringing our family dinners,  we are still enjoying delicious, home-cooked meals.   
  • I am so very thankful to Jen and my sisters who have kept the blog updated over the last few weeks!  I'm happy to know that the recipe sharing goes on while I am away!

Here are some of my favorite photos from over the last month: 


My husband and son, just after shaving off Spencer's hair which had begun falling out in patches.  My husband only kept the mohawk for a few minutes, but it still cracks me up whenever I see this picture!
 

I love this picture of Spencer and his youngest sister, taking a stroll around the pediatric oncology unit. 


This is what I've been doing instead of cooking...learning how to take care of Spencer's central line (an IV line surgically implanted in his chest). 



His hospital room sports several homemade signs and banners, but this is my favorite....a sign made by his little sister!  I especially love all the staples.

It's been a mild winter here in the DC area, so the nurses let him go out and play in the courtyard on a few of the nicest days when he was feeling good.  It was his first breaths of fresh air in weeks and he enjoyed playing basketball with his Dad and keep away with this cute little fellow cancer patient. 

Truly our needs are met and we do not need anything other than your continued prayers, but if you'd like to donate to help find a cure for leukemia, go here to my cousin's fundraising page. My cousin is a lymphoma survivor of almost 10 years and now devotes herself whole-heartedly to finding a cure for blood cancers--like leukemia and lymphoma.   She is participating in a 100-mile bike ride in honor of Spencer and you will find updates and blips from our family blog there. 
Funds raised from her bike ride go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, which is committed to curing blood cancers and helping patients and their families. 



*************************

20 comments:

Sheila February 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM  

Thank you for updating us! I ALWAYS read your recipes, and rarely comment! But I loved reading your update story on your son, and seeing how your entire family is pulling together, brings a smile to my face! Prayers will continue for you!

Heather February 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM  

I also love reading about your son & family! We will contiue praying as well!

Anonymous,  February 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM  

Don't ever ever apologize for loving on your family, cooking/posting less, or for sharing your current truth. You are where you should be, and we are blessed to be updated.

Johanna

Debbie February 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM  

Thanks for updating. I am so glad your son is doing well with his treatments. Prayers are being sent your way and don't worry about the blog....your fans will be checking in!!!!

Hillcresthome Prims February 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM  

I am still praying for your son and the Lord will see you and him and the whole family through this.
I can see how loved he is.
Love In Christ,
Tricia

Michelle,  February 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM  

So glad to see the update on your son. I think of him every time I access your page and wondering how he and your family are doing.

Our prayers are with you.

Jackie Koll February 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM  

Thank you so much for this update. I was just searching back through your blog yesterday to make sure I had not missed an update. Praying for you and your family through this tough time. Please continue to update as you are able.

Anonymous,  February 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM  

Yeah Spencer - keep up the good work on kicking that cancer out!

blessedx4 February 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM  

I am so glad you posted an update on Spencer. Yes, I love the recipes, but my thoughts and prayers are with Spencer and your family during this time. Please continue to send us the updates. We are all pulling for him to be your number one taste tester again soon.:)Sending prayers up.

Blessings,
Tiffany

Judy February 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM  

Thanks for the update. Like all the others, I always think of your son when I check out the blog. What a blessing to have two potential marrow donors. We do remember your family in our prayers.

Margaret February 16, 2012 at 11:01 AM  

Lara, I love following your blog. I was so sad to read about your son. I live in Utah and know a girl about the same age as your son who has leukemia and has been going thru the same thing as your son. I thought you might like to follow her blog: haleymckenzie.blogspot.com.

Margaret

Anonymous,  February 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM  

Like so many others, I love your recipes, but love that you can take a break to care for your son even more! Praying for you and your family!

Tomi,  February 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM  

Ditto to what the others said we love your recipes but I was checking and hoping for an update. Continued prayers coming your way. All of you stay strong you have a lot of support in real life and your virtual world. Many hugs to you!!

Tomi

Sue Dorsey,  February 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM  

I have been following your blog for about four months and my heart sank when I read your initial post about your son. I immediately put your family in our daily prayers. I am so glad to read this latest post that his siblings are matches for bone marrow. I know that can be tough to match sometimes. I pray that he keeps uplifted as do all of you during this time. I admire you, you are a strong, strong lady.

wanda,  February 16, 2012 at 7:45 PM  

I've been thinking about Spencer and your family. Happy to hear everyone is doing well.

teresa February 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM  

i was so good to hear how you're doing. this post brought tears to my eyes, especially seeing all of the gloriously bald heads in support of your son. what love. i think about you often, we in the blogging community are all sending our warmest!

Karen,  February 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM  

As I made the peanut noodles and the magic shell recipes today I thought about you and your family and said an extra prayer for your son. I dont think there's anyone reading this blog who isnt looking and hoping for updates on Spencer. I know we are!

Anonymous,  February 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM  

Hi Lara! I honestly hopped over here looking for an update on your son & family :) My prayers continue to go out to ALL of you & that God's peace continues to calm your storms. My He continue to strengthen you one day at a time. PLEASE keep your updates coming!

Martha A. February 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM  

Thank you for sharing! I was wondering how he was doing!

Patti February 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM  

My mother in law just went through a bone marrow transplant on 1/20..it was a success..she had MDS that turned into Leukemia...she is home and doing well but is struggling still as we all know...but just know that science is amazing!!!

I'd love to keep in tough since this is all new to me as well....he is in our prayers and hearts..

Patti

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP