Woopie Pie Spiders

Friday, October 26, 2012

Whoopie pies seem to be pretty popular over the past year, so when I wanted to come up with something for a Halloween party, I thought of making these tasty treats into something fun.  While these little cream filled sandwich cakes are super cute,   I thought that it would be yummy and easy to stick licorice in between the two halves and then put eyeballs on top.  Thus the Whoopie Spider was born.  The kids loved it (as well as the adults).  And I have to admit that I had fun making them. 

Don't forget to check out this post for a compilation of all of our favorite fun Halloween ideas in one place!
.


Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Jen.

 Ingredients:

1 chocolate cake mix
1/2 c oil
1/2 c water (if free forming your little cakes)  3/4 c water if you have a little Whoopie mold pan)
3 eggs
Container of frosting
shoestring licorice
red hots/M&M's, Skittles, etc for eyes
other decorative sprinkles
Corn Syrup (optional, but to help stick on the eyes)

Directions:
Add all the cake mix ingredients into a bowl and mix together well.
Use a spoon to blob cake dough onto a baking sheet (use parchment paper!).  Try to make the shapes as equal as possible.

OR, if you have a Whoopie pan mold (like the one from Williams Sonoma) , then scoop 1 heaping Tbsp of batter into the pan.  
Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Let cool completely.
See how the free form ones worked perfectly fine?  No need for a special pan.  

Turn half of them upside down and spread some frosting on the half.
Lay your licorice legs across the frosting.  Use 4 strings of licorice.  Remember that spiders have 8 legs.  I actually used Pull-n-Peel and then cut each licorice in 1/2 (or even smaller) to make it so the legs weren't too long.
Place the other half of the cakes on the top to make a sandwich.
"Glue" the eyes on with either corn syrup or frosting.  I also spread a tiny bit of corn syrup across the backs to help other sprinkles stay on.  But the sugar sprinkles seem to stay on without extra help. (hey, I never said this was healthy!)
I experimented with other colors as well.  These were a lot of fun to make and I know the kids really enjoyed eating them.  Get your kids involved to help make them as well.  I think I'll have to create these little Whoopie cakes more often!

1 comments:

Cindy October 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM  

My daughter needs a project for a class of 1-3rd graders. This looks perfect. I'll seen her a link.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP