Stormy Week Menu 10/28 - 11/5

Sunday, October 28, 2012

With Hurricane Sandy slated to pummel our area over the next couple of days, we picked this week's menu with the expectation that we will be spending at least a few days without power.  Today everything is still normal, so we were trying to use up some fresh things in our fridge and do some prep work that will hopefully make the rest of the week go more smoothly.  For the next few days' we will eat meals that do not require electricity, figuring it will be easier if I plan it in advance and if in the unlikely event that we don't lose power, we'll just be pleasantly surprised and bake some cookies to bide the time while my kids are out of school!

Don't worry that the storm will keep us from posting our last couple of  Halloween posts....I've already got them scheduled and ready to go!

If you're interested to hear how we weather the storm, be sure to check out our Facebook page  where I will update when the storm is gone and the power is back on!


Sunday--
Potato Soup with added chicken Italian sausage and chopped spinach--we added them just to use up a couple more items in our fridge, but ended up loving the new taste!

enough homemade bread to last the week--I froze what we're not using today or tomorrow

blueberry spinach smoothie-- my family LOVES this healthy smoothie!


Halloween treats made in advance for later this week:
see here to see all of our Halloween recipes in one place

Halloween Pretzel Bites--we are addicted to these yummy salty-sweet treats!



Monday-- (likely won't have power)

Chicken Pasta Salad  (cooked the noodles today, so all I have to do tomorrow is chop the veggies and make the dressing)--this is one of our favorite meals, which is a good thing, since I think my kids will need all the comfort food they can get tomorrow!



Tuesday-- (likely won't have power)
Grilled honey-lime chicken sandwiches--I hope it won't be too stormy still to grill.  My family loves these sandwiches!

Apple-Pear Salad--  Even with the power out, I'm assuming my cheese will still be good.  If not, I'll just leave it out.    I plan on using store-bought dressing just to use it up. 


Wednesday--  (possibly won't have power)
Best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Ever--I've got the chicken in the freezer, so it should still be fine on Wednesday as long as we don't open it too often. 

"Bloody" Raspberry-Grape Punch--if the sorbet is soft, it won't matter!



Thursday-- (really, really hoping we'll have power by Thursday...otherwise we'll just grill hot dogs and hamburgers we've got in the freezer)

Hearty quinoa and corn chowder (new recipe)

Friday
--
pizza casserole-- a fun variation on our normal Friday night pizza


Saturday--
Meatball Stroganoff in a Crockpot--  we need a crockpot meal for this busy day


Sunday
--
Honey-Lime Enchiladas (made with pork instead of chicken)--one of our very favorite meals ever, I love throwing the pork in the crockpot before church then throwing it all together quickly afterward!  Yum!


Jack-o-lantern pumpkin cheesecake-- a little late, but I'll bake this as a belated treat for my daughter's birthday on Halloween. 

Go check Organizing Junkie for lots more Menu Plans!


4 comments:

Martha A. October 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM  

Since cheese is aged at about 50 degrees and molds generally, it stays good even if it is moldy....just in case you were wondering! Hope you are not out of power long.

Kim October 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM  

I'm hoping the storm isn't as bad as they think it will be. Will be thinking of you!

Nancy October 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM  

Praying and thinking of you and your family! Blessings!

teresa October 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM  

good luck this week, stay safe!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP