Fruit Custard

Friday, June 24, 2011

**Note from Lara--To get to know my new blogging partner Jen a little, check out her new profile on our About Us page

This is a great dessert if you're looking for something light and not too sugary. It reminds me of rice pudding just minus the rice. There is actually a dessert here in France called "Clafoutis aux Cerises" which is a custard or flan with cherries. Since I love all things cherry, I decided to give it a try. Then I thought "why not use other fruit?" This one is made with canned peaches, although I'm sure that pears, blueberries, or other fruit would be just fine. Give it a try and let me know!

Click here for printable recipe. 


The Ingredients:

1 (15-oz) can peaches, drained and diced
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 c sugar
3/4 whole milk (I suppose that 2% or maybe skim would be fine too)
2 eggs
pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

The Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or butter a shallow baking pan like a Pyrex pie pan. Arrange diced peaches around on bottom of the pan. In a bowl mix together the flour and sugar. Add in milk and beat until smooth. Then beat in the eggs, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.Pour the batter over the fruit carefully so as to not move the fruit around too much. You want to keep it as evenly spaced as possible so each bite has its fair share of fruit.Bake in oven for 1/2 hour or until set and the edges are puffed and golden. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
Right before serving, sift powdered sugar on top. This can be served warm or cold. If served warm, you could add a dollop of whipped cream as well.

This is what the cherry one looks like. I used canned cherries. (Not cherry pie filling!) Just make sure they are pitted. If you want to use fresh cherries, just pit them, and mix them in a bowl with a little lemon juice first. If you're using tart cherries, then also mix them with a little powdered sugar.


1 comments:

Caprice June 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM  

Yum! Love your blog, and adding it to my regular reads...

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP