Taco Tarts

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Today I was thinking of what to make for dinner, and I was standing in front of the refrigerator looking at what I had on hand (because I'm not taking 3 kids to the grocery store for last minute quick dinner ingredients). All of a sudden I saw a Tupperware dish of leftover taco meat and I remembered a recipe I once saw in Halloween pamphlet. Taco tarts were the answer to my dinner dilemma. This is a great way to get your kids involved making dinner. Let them choose the shapes of the taco tarts and cut them out. I would have done that, but while I was making dinner my kids were suspiciously quiet* so I left them alone. When the kids finally emerged from their activity, they were so excited for dinner. My 8 year old ate about 4 or 5 Taco tarts. And in case you were wondering, yes that is the Millennium Falcon**.
Click here for printable recipe. 


The Ingredients:

1/2 lb leftover taco meat (or 1/2 lb cooked hamburger, 1/2 chopped onion, 1 pkg taco seasoning)
2 packages pie crust (or Lara's best pie crust recipe here.)
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg white
1 egg yolk
cookie cutters at least 3 inches

Directions:
Roll out pie dough and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Make sure you do 2 of every shape as you will need a top and a bottom. Brush the edges of the pie dough with egg white.
Place 1 tablespoon (or bigger depending on the size of your cookie cutters) of cooked taco meat in the middle and top with a pinch of cheddar cheese.
Place the tops of the matching shapes onto the taco meat and seal around the edges. Brush with egg yolk. Bake in oven at 375 degrees. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.

*My kids were quiet because apparently they were in their room, with the door closed, throwing Legos at each other.

**In case you wanted to know where I got a Millennium Falcon cookie cutter, click here to go to Williams and Sonoma. They're even on sale with a vintage Star Wars lunch box to store them in.




5 comments:

Arlene Delloro June 22, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

What a great idea! Can't wait to make these with my great niece.

Kim June 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM  

I made something similar to this, but with canned biscuit dough and the whole family loved it. This is a reminder that I need to do it again:) Love your cookie cutters and fun shapes.

Romney Family June 23, 2011 at 8:35 AM  

what a clever idea and my son would love those cutters. He is 5 and obsessed with all things Star wars!!!

teresa June 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM  

i love things you can make with your kids. it makes them so excited to eat it! these are adorable and sound tasty for the whole fam!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP