Raspberry Swirl Coffee Cake

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This beautiful coffee cake was a tasty way to start a cold winter's morning.  I got the recipe from an old Simple and Delicious magazine where the submitter bragged that it had won the "Best of Show" ribbon at her local fair.  With its raspberry swirls and unique yogurty flavor, it won best of show at our house too!   NOTE:  I've had a couple people ask about using other flavors of yogurt and preserves and while I've never tried it, I think it would be absolutely delicious.  We're trying it later this week with blueberry yogurt and preserves. 

Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 cup (8-ounces) raspberry yogurt ( I used Yoplait 99% fat-free original yogurt)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted (optional)
1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves, divided
2 Tbs. sliced almonds, toasted (oops, we forgot to do this)

Directions: 
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt, butter, and vanilla until blended; stir in dry ingredients just until moistened.  Stir in the chopped almonds.  (batter will be thick)

Pour into a greased 9-inch springform pan (or just regular 9-inch round cake pan). 

Drop 1/3 cup preserves by tablespoonfuls over batter; cut through with a knife to swirl. 

Sprinkle with sliced almonds (we forgot this step).  Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove sides of the pan if a springform pan was used. 

In a small saucepan, heat remaining preserves until melted; drizzle over serving plates.  Top each with a piece of coffee cake.  (we also skipped this, since I did not care about making it pretty for my kids).  Makes 10 servings. 



Enjoy!


I’m linking up with Cheryl at Tidy Mom for “I’m Lovin’ It Friday”,
and with Kim at Quit Eating Out for her “Saturday Swap”.
Please check them out!!




10 comments:

ann January 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

I love raspberry coffee cakes. This looks wonderful. I want to make this!

Anonymous,  January 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

Wow, that looks scrumptious! I love coffee cake and this one looks divine:)

grace January 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

This would go great with my morning cup of coffee. Yum!

Kim January 19, 2011 at 2:12 PM  

This is one of the best looking breakfast cakes I've ever seen. I love all the swirls and the raspberry and almond combo.

Arlene Delloro January 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

Looks and sounds delicious. I'm tempted to try it tonight with my Greek yogurt and sugar-free strawberry preserves.

teresa January 19, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

i have a little party to go to tonight, and i just might whip this up before i go. do you think it would be just as good with strawberry yogurt and preserves?

Debbie January 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

That looks so tasty and perfect anytime of day! I love Simple and Delicious magazine and just blogged one of their recipes also!!!

Cindy January 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

This looks yummy. I love brunch, what a fun way to start the day.

Anonymous,  January 21, 2011 at 8:13 AM  

My in~laws are coming for a visit TOMORROW; I have NOTHING planned for meals, NO grocery list made; and I'm SICK! :( Soooo, thank you for sharing this! This would make a GREAT breakfast this weekend. :) Have a great weekend Friend! I hope you'll share one or some of your great recipes at Saturday Swap!!!

Anonymous,  January 22, 2011 at 6:38 AM  

Thanks so much for linking to Saturday Swap! And thanks for the well wishes. I woke up this morning feeling MUCH better.... just in time. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP