Enchilada Pasta

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Enchiladas made over into a pasta dish...why didn't I think of that?  With my family's love of noodles and of Mexican food, this dish was destined to become a success at our house.  We've made this easy, cheesy  dish twice now and both times was eagerly devoured by the crew with clamoring for second helpings.  The second time I made it, I threw in a can of drained black beans and recommend that for a tasty addition and a little boost of nutrition.   Enjoy! 

Recipe Source:  Pearls, Handcuffs, & Happy Hour
 Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Lara. 

The ingredients: 


1 box (13-ounces) penne pasta
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red pepper, diced
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (or shredded rotisserie chicken)
1 {4 oz.} can diced green chilies
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 (10-oz. each) cans green chili enchilada sauce
2/3 cup red enchilada sauce
1 can (15-ounces) black beans, drained (optional)
2 cups shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
1 cup sour cream
Toppings, as desired:  chopped avocados, green onions, black olives, diced tomatoes, sour cream, chopped cilantro

Directions:
 
Boil pasta according to package directions.   

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in large skillet and cook onions for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes.

Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, enchilada sauces. and black beans (if using). Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes.



Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through. Add sour cream and while cooking on low heat, stir constantly until sour cream is well mixed and heated through, without letting it boil (or the sour cream will curdle).

 Drain pasta and return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well. 

Garnish with desired toppings:  avocado, tomato, green onion, sour cream, etc..  Makes 8 servings.

Enjoy! 

Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

5 comments:

Jessica January 11, 2012 at 8:39 AM  

Yum! I rarely think of mexican food and pasta together but this looks great!

The Daily Smash January 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM  

I have this recipe on my blog also I didnt know that someone else was making it to :) its one of our favorites.

Hillcresthome Prims January 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM  

Yummo, I have everything to make this recipe tomorrow if I want. Thank you so much for posting it.

It looks SO YUMMY!.
I think I am going to make this when we watch the football game this Saturday!

Happy cooking,
Tricia

Katie January 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM  

I read this post this morning, went to the store this afternoon, and made it for dinner tonight. Loved it! I also added a can of corn in addition to the black beans. A big hit!

Kim January 12, 2012 at 7:32 AM  

Oh yes! This is just the kind of thing my family would love too.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP