For Lara

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sometimes life just doesn't make sense. Sometimes we get surprised by a sudden turn of events that turns everything upside down. Sometimes we learn more about ourselves at those times than any other time in our lives. For Lara, I doubt that even begins to explain what she is feeling. Whatever was her life, hobbies, schedules, and comforts before this change of events... it has all morphed into something new. Her life will be just as meaningful, and just as full, but still she will put a part of herself on hold for her family, for her son.

Sh
e loves this blog. And I love her. So, I didn't want to see it sit idle today. Today I post a recipe for her. Just to say to her... your blog matters, you matter, I'm so proud of you... and we are praying for you and sending all our love your way! Love, Trisha

DUMP DINNER

This is the perfect dinner for when life is crazy and upside down. Simple, easy, no rules, and barely any clean up at all!

Ingredients:

I know I should post a picture of the ingredients now, but really.. it's up to you. I grab a big pot and throw in all sorts of meats and vegetables. I usually include:


Vegetables: asparagus, squash, zucchini, broccoli, (or even baby carrots, little potatoes)
Meat: little smokie sausages, shrimp, meatballs

Directions:

Cover your dining table with a plastic, disposable table cloth.

Set out what we like to call "dip-it" aka ketchup, Ranch dressing, barbeque sauce

Throw whatever meats and veggies you choose to use in a big pot filled with water.

Boil until meat is warm and vegetables are soft (sometimes it helps to start boiling the veggies first and then add the meat).

Season with lots of salt and pepper.

Drain and Dump.

That's right, I said dump..... just like this:



Dump the pot of food in the middle of the table and allow everyone to eat until they are full. When it's done, fold up the tablecloth and toss it! Wash your pot, and you're done! Ok, I know you can barely call this a recipe, but the kids absolutely love it! So the next time you are in the dumps and cooking is the last thing on your mind... Dump Dinner may just be the answer!

13 comments:

L Sun Tadlock,  January 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM  

What fun! I love your post, and our family loves the Goolds.

Kim January 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM  

I have been thinking of Lara and her family a lot and praying for them so much.

I got a real kick out of this recipe. I really love the way you just dump it out on the table. LOL!

I know Lara would really appreciate this post!

Janis January 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM  

Would have never imagined that you literally dump it all out on the table. Love it!

Thanks for the post. It sounds like Lara has some good friends there to support her. :)

Lara January 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM  

Thank you Trisha for helping us feel so loved and for sharing this super fun recipe.

To all of you blog readers, we very much appreciate your thoughts and prayers right now. Spencer has a long, long road in front of him, but he is hanging in there with a positive attitude and we are being loved and supported every step of the way!

Coleens Recipes January 19, 2012 at 2:55 AM  

I think a lot of us are praying for Spencer.

Debbie January 19, 2012 at 6:36 AM  

Oh what a great meal! Thinking of you and your family Lara and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Nancy January 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM  

What a fun idea- a great way to get out of the winter doldrums. My kids would be so surprised if we did this. I love keeping them guessing.

We continue to pray for Spencer, his family and the medical staff taking care of him.

teresa January 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM  

lara, i've been thinking about you and your son quite a bit. i want you to know that your food blog friends are here pulling for you. love and prayers!

this is a fun dinner!

Anonymous,  January 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM  

What a great idea! I think it would be fun to dump it on a table cloth on the floor too. Wheee! Keeping this one in the back of my mind for the day that is just right. My kids will love it!

Anonymous,  January 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM  

What a thoughtful post Trisha :) Love the dump dinner idea! Praying for Spencer & his family!

Martha A. January 22, 2012 at 3:37 AM  

Thanks for sharing the recipe for her! I know this blog fan is thinking of her at this hard time!

Trisha January 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM  

Thanks for all the comments! Let me know if you try it and how your family responds :-) I might just have to try it on the floor too!!

Lara, you are loved!

Robin January 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM  

My father-in-law is a CHEF and he would do this when he made lobster for everyone....cover the table with newspapers, boil the lobsters, melt the butter and open a bag of potato chips, and that was dinner. My absolute favorite family memory with my husband's family. Thinking of the family during this difficult time. Recipe Shoebox has been my favorite cooking blog for a long time...

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP