Meatball Sandwiches

Monday, January 30, 2012

During the week I'm often looking for a quick go to meal for my family. With only four ingredients, I make this quite often and it's a favorite amongst my boys. I love a good sub sandwich and it's even better with melted cheese. Why go out when you can make this in less than 1/2 hour! (Plus, if you're like me you can sneak in pureed carrots into the spaghetti sauce to help the kids increase their veggie consumption!. Shhh. Don't tell them!)
Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Jen.

Ingredients:

Bag meatballs (precooked or raw. If raw, you'll need to cook them first)
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
Hoagie buns
Mozzarella cheese, sliced

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375.

Plan out how many meatballs you'll need and either heat them in the microwave or cook them according to the package. I've found that a basic Hogie bun will fit about 4 meatballs. So when I make 4 sandwiches, I need to count out 16 meatballs. (do this with your kids to practice math skills!)

When the meatballs are heated through (or cooked) then mix with about 1/2 jar spaghetti sauce. I only use enough sauce to just coat the meatballs. Too much sauce means soggy buns!
To help prevent the potential soggy bun, I slice some cheese and line the bottom of the hoagie buns so as to provide a barrier for the sauce. Place the buns with cheese in the oven at 375 for a couple minutes just until the cheese is melted. Then remove from oven and fill the buns with your meatballs. You can put on a little extra sauce if you'd like.
Place sliced cheese on top and place under your broiler for a couple minutes to toast the cheese. OR just turn the temperature up to 450 and place the subs in until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately so everything is nice and warm.

1 comments:

K January 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM  

My son loves meatballs and I bet he would think that is an awesome dinner. I'll have to try it soon! Thanks for the great idea!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP