Update

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Just a quick note about my son, who was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia 12 days ago:

Spencer just finished with his first round of chemo.  We have another 10-14 days in the hospital while we wait for his blood levels to finish dropping, then rise back up to a safe level.  Then we'll be able to take him home for a week, then start it all over again back in the hospital.   We're in for a long road over the next several months! 

Our family is settling into a new normal.  The little ones are clingier than usual, but with the arrival of Grandma and Aunt H into town, it's gotten a little easier for them to stay in a routine.   My husband and I are exhausted, but with the help of countless family and friends we are hanging in there okay. 

The effects of the chemo are starting to kick in and Spencer is not feeling great.  It's hard stuff watching your child in pain. 

And about the blog: 

The Recipe Shoebox will go on!   My blog partner, Jen, with the help of my sisters and cousin are going to keep the recipes coming, while we take care of our son and pray for the day when we can have Spencer back home as my #1 taste tester again.  :)

Thanks for all your prayers and words of support.  It's hard to adequately describe how strongly we feel that God has been carrying us every step of this journey.   In amidst the stress and the worry about the long weeks and months ahead of us, we have felt an inexplicable inner peace that no matter what lies ahead, that a higher plan is at play. 

********************************
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." 
John 14:27

17 comments:

tiffany@vintagemarigold January 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM  

Thinking of you! If I was close I would love to bring you a comforting meal like so many you have shared with us!! Hugs and Prayers-Tiffany

Unknown January 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM  

We went through a cancer journey with our two year old...my heart goes out to you!! She was on treatment for one year and it was overwhelming to look ahead to what that year would be like. You are right, the Lord carried us and He will carry you! It's a promise!! Praying for you all! It's so hard to watch our children suffer! Thankfully, she is healthy now!! Praise the Lord!

Coleens Recipes January 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM  

Hang in there and thank you for the update. A lot of people are praying for your family.

Charity January 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM  

You are amazing..not only to continue on with the strength you are showing, but to allow us to be a part of it with you. You came from good stock...Our prayers are with you and your entire family.

Debbie January 23, 2012 at 6:42 AM  

Thinking of your family and sending prayers your way. Thanks for giving us an update....

Laurie January 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM  

Sending well wishes for your son Spencer and keeping you all in my prayers.

Beth Cotell January 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM  

Continuing to pray for your son (and the rest of your family). So glad that your blog will continue on...every time a new post pops into my reader, it's a great reminder to pray for Spencer.

tdmmom,  January 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM  

Praying for you all. (hugs)
Tammy in GA

Annette T. January 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM  

Prayers going up for Spencer and you. I can't imagine how awful it is having him sick. My husband had cancer and it took up a good 12 months of his life. Just as he'd get better it was time for chemo again. Just please take time for yourself once in awhile, and hugs to those other babies at home. Spencer will be home before you know it eating his favorite that mom makes!

Anonymous,  January 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM  

Oh Lara as a fellow mom my heart is breaking for you!! Please know I am praying for you all & especially Spencer. I'm praising God that He is surrounding you with loved ones during this very difficult time & asking that He gives you the strength to perservere each day.

wanda,  January 24, 2012 at 12:56 AM  

Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.

Tammy January 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM  

Thank you for the update, I will continue to pray for Spencer and your whole family. God is good and I am so glad you feel at peace and have your faith.Deut 31:8 "It is the Lord who goes before you, He will march with you, he will not fail you or let you go or forsake you;fear not, neither become broken"

FunkySteph January 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM  

Hello,
I landed on this blog following different links... Life is strange sometimes... I am just passing by and wanted to let you know that my Mum was diagnose with myeloid leukemia in January 2004 and has been declared in remission last October 2011... The first year was tough, she was very tired but as the time went on, things were getting better... As you have a blog that speaks a lot about cooking you might already be aware that they are lots of foods that can help the body to fight cancer and help it to better assimilate chemo... A great book to read in the one written by David Servan Schreiber. I wish you and you family all the best.

blessedx4 January 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM  

Praying for all of you. Know that your son, your family, and your blog have touched many hearts and you will continually be in our prayers.

Blessings,
Tiffany
www.theboydbunch.wordpress.com

Julie January 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM  

When I read about what you are going through with your son it certainly puts my petty grievances in perspective. Wishing your son much strength and courage and praying for God's blessings on him and your whole family..

Kristen February 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM  

I can only imagine the overwhelming emotions that you are all going through right now. I will be keeping your family in prayer.

Karen,  February 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM  

I stumbled upon this blog about a year ago..you taught me how to bake bread: )
I am praying for you and your family. I hope he's home and well very soon.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP