Chicken and Dumplings

Friday, March 25, 2011

This is one of those five star recipes that the whole family adored; from my little kindergartner to my manly husband.  I found this little gem in the Our Best Bites Cookbook....which happens to be my favorite cookbook right now.  If any of you are like me and don’t usually keep Bisquick in the house, I found a whole grain baking mix at Trader Joes which worked great for the dumplings.  I also imagine that you could use your own from-scratch biscuit recipe if you wanted, but haven’t actually tried it myself.  If you do try it, you’ll have to let me know how it turns out!   This is comfort food at its best here—it tastes great, is thick and creamy, and even pretty good for you if you use fat-free evaporated milk (and whole grain dumplings).  Enjoy! 


Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 onion, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
6 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. basil
1 cup sliced carrots
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
1 can (12-ounces) evaporated milk (fat free is fine)
1 recipe Bisquick biscuit dough (I used a whole-grain baking mix from Trader Joes, but I imagine you could also use your favorite biscuit recipe from scratch as well.  If you try it, you’ll have to let me know how it works. )


Directions: In a large pot on medium-high heat, cook chicken in olive oil until browned but not cooked through (about 5 minutes).  Reduce heat to medium-low, then add onion and garlic.  Sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes and then add chicken broth, bay leaf, and basil.  Bring to a boil.

Add carrots and celery and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover and cook until carrots and celery are almost tender (about 10 minutes).  Add chopped parsley and stir in evaporated milk.   Increase heat to boiling and drop Bisquick dough by the spoonful into the boiling soup.  Cover and cook until the dumplings are cooked through (about 5-10 minutes). 


Makes 6 servings Serve immediately! 

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

SnoWhite March 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

This looks wonderful; and so funny that you should post this today. My husband just asked last night for Chicken and Dumplings, but I said I didn't have a good recipe. Now I do! Thanks.

Robin November 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM  

this looks like pure comfort food...perfect for cold November evenings!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP