Creamy Potato-Leek Soup

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Okay, okay....just after bragging about my new fresh spring menu, I found this soup recipe waiting to be published.  I hadn't cooked with leeks much before, but after seeing how deliciously creamy this soup looked and reading the reviews on it I couldn't wait to give it a try.   The texture turned out as fabulous as I expected, but taste wise it was a toss-up on likes and dislikes in our family.  Everyone ate it, but there were a few of us that didn't really care for the flavor of the leeks.  I figured that with the positive reviews on the Sister's Cafe (where I originally got the recipe) and the fact that my family really isn't accustomed to eating leeks, that I'd go ahead and share it here.  I also liked that the soup itself (without the bacon) is fairly healthy with only a small amount of butter used and evaporated milk instead of cream, which means that you don't need to feel guilty about garnishing it with cheese and crumbled bacon.   Enjoy!  

Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:


6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 leeks, washed, sliced, including white and light green parts
1 cup chopped onion
2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk of celery, sliced
4 cups chicken broth
1 Tbs. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp garlic salt
2 Tbs. butter
12 oz. can evaporated milk
12 oz. bacon, cooked and crumbled
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
chives, chopped - optional

Directions: 
Crockpot Directions:  Combine everything except last 4 ingredients in crockpot. Cook on low 7-9 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Stir in the can of evaporated milk the last 45 minutes. Serve hot topped with bacon, cheddar, and chives.

Stovetop Directions:  In a large sauce pan on medium heat,  saute onion in a tablespoon of oil until soft (about 7-8 minutes).     Add the potatoes, leeks, carrots, celery, chicken broth, parsley, garlic salt, and butter and simmer together  for about 30 minutes.  

Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then in a blender puree about 1/3 of the soup or until desired texture has been reached. 

Reheat.  Serve hot topped with bacon, cheddar, and chives.   
Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Lyndas recipe box March 31, 2011 at 4:02 PM  

Too bad your family wasn't craazy about this soup, but it sure looks and sounds delicious! Since it's only 40 degrees here today, this could be our dinner. But I'd have to leave the leeks out since I don't have any.
Thanks!

Cassie March 31, 2011 at 7:09 PM  

This soup looks delicious! I love leeks and their mild oniony flavor. A hint for cleaning them: slice them first and then soak it all in a large bowl of water. Drain, rinse, repeat - that's the easiest way to get all the dirt out of the layers :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP