April Fool's Day Treat: "Mashed Potato" Cupcakes

Thursday, March 31, 2011

 Well, my family got a real April Fool's Day surprise this year!  I was so excited to make some fun new treats to share here on the blog, that they got their April Fool's Day dinner tonight!  It actually was pretty classic to see their reactions when they realized that they were getting tricked early this year!  We got the idea for  these "mashed potatoes" cupcakes from my daughter's   Hello, Cupcake! cookbook, which is a full of fun and easy cupcake ideas.  

We made these using  our dairy free cupcake recipe, which was perfect since it makes just 12 cupcakes and the chocolate cake combined with the caramel topping tasted pretty fabulous too!   Make sure you melt the caramel topping slightly before drizzling, to make it more like a gravy consistency.   

Check out my other April Fool's treats as well--Hamburger Cookies and Meatloaf and Mashed Potato "Cupcakes"


Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

Baked cupcakes
White frosting
Caramel ice cream topping, melted slightly
Yellow Starburst candies

Directions:  Liberally frost each cupcake with white frosting to look like a mound of mashed potatoes.  Make a small indentation in the top where the yellow Starburst pat of butter will be set, but before placing it, drizzle caramel topping that has been melted slightly. 

(I put mine in a small bowl in the microwave for about 15 seconds, then used a spoon to drizzle it over to look like gravy).  Place Starburst pat of butter in place and add a tiny bit more caramel topping to complete the look.

Serve immediately and wait for the smiles!  Enjoy! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP