Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Honey-Lime Enchiladas--with the green enchilada sauce (made with tomatillos) on top these have some great visual appeal for Saint Patty's day. In addition, my kids love them.
Potato Kielbasa Skillet--one of our family favorite meals and naturally flecked with lots of wholesome spinach!
Potato Soup (dyed with green food coloring) and Bread Bowls--this was our Saint Patty's Day dinner last year! :)
Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Sauce-- the cilantro gives the filling some green and the roasted tomatillo sauce on top is naturally green as well
Spinach-Zucchini Soup--this healthy soup is totally green of its own accord (no food dyes, gluten, or dairy) . It's perfect for a Saint Patty's day lunch or dinner. I like to whip up a batch of this tasty soup early in the week and eat it for lunch all week!
Dairy-Free Pasta Alfredo (made with cashews)--it's light colored, so the sauce could easily be dyed green
BBQ Chicken Salad with Cilantro-Ranch Dressing --a healthy, naturally green meal!
Chicken Crescents (with green food coloring in the filling and/or bread)--my kids love these
Garlic Chicken Pasta with Spinach-- another one with lots of wholesome, dye-free green
Split Pea Soup--another naturally green healthy soup, this could be bedecked with sour cream clovers instead of a monster face
- Put a couple drops of green food coloring in the milk carton before the kids wake up and tell them that the leprechauns must have done it.
- Put a couple drops of green dye in the toilet and when the first kid comes out exclaiming that the water is green, blame it on the leprechaun who forgot to flush. (Don't worry the food coloring does not stain the toilet bowl).
- Make your favorite pancake recipe (like this or this or this) and swirl in some green food coloring. Top it with Buttermilk Caramel Syrup dyed green for a real leprechaun's breakfast.
- Find some chocolate gold coins (or another fun treat) and send the kids on a treasure hunt searching for the leprechaun's treasure.
- Find a good dessert recipe and dye it green. These would be perfect:
- Chocolate Peppermint Cake Roll (filling dyed green)
- Celestial Bars (the white portion dyed green)
- Any cupcake dyed green (these recipes are good: Coconut or Greek Yogurt , but even a cake mix would work great! )
- Homemade Oreos (filling dyed green)--a super easy and fun treat that starts with chocolate cake mix as a base
What about your family? Do you have any fun Saint Patty's Day traditions or recipes? Please share!