Asian Chicken-Peanut Wraps

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring has sprung upon us here in the DC area and I’m getting the urge to make some healthier dinner fare again.  These Asian Chicken-Peanut Wraps I found over at Chasing Tomatoes  are chock full of vegetables and have only 368 calories (without the tortilla) and would be great for anyone looking for a healthy meal that also tastes good.   Sometimes my kids resist when I try to feed them healthier foods, but not so with these flavorful, but easy-to-make wraps.   Enjoy!   

Click here for printable recipe.



The ingredients:

WRAPS:

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
olive oil (for brushing)
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1 grated carrot
1/2 cup snow peas
4 pita breads or large flour tortillas
lettuce leaves

SAUCE: (if using shredded chicken, I recommend making a 1-1/2 batch of the sauce)
1/4 cup peanut butter
3 Tbs. soy sauce
3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
zest of one lime
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced


Directions:
Brush chicken with oil and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices run clear.  Set aside, allow to cool, and chop into cubes.  (NOTE:  I used leftover shredded chicken instead)

In a sauce pan,  immerse the snow peas in  boiling water for 30-60 seconds.  Immediately drain the boiling water and immerse the snow peas in a bowl filled with icy cold water.  Allow to sit for 2 minutes in the cold water, then drain and set aside. 

Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, sugar, ginger, sesame oil, and garlic until smooth. 


In a large bowl, toss the cooled chicken and snow peas,  celery, green onions, and carrot.  Pour peanut butter dressing over the chicken/veggie mixture and toss until evenly coated.  Spoon into lettuce lined pitas or tortillas and roll.  Makes 4 servings. 

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Karey March 24, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

Totally making this for dinner tonight! Thanks, Lara! I was looking for something fun to do with some leftover chicken, and this will do the trick :)

Arlene Delloro March 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM  

Those look really good. I love wraps and the ingredients are so freshy and "springy." Great idea.

Lynn March 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM  

These look yummy. And the fact that they're healthy -- even better. Bet that peanut sauce is delish.

Anonymous,  March 24, 2011 at 11:34 PM  

These sound delicious and healthy...perfect for spring :)

Jane March 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM  

These look so good, I have them bookmarked to try. Thanks for sharing, I LOVE your blog!

Karey March 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM  

I tried them last night and they were great! I didn't have celery or snow peas, so I just threw in what I did happen to have - cucumbers (diced), and red pepper slices. It really worked and I think it's probably kind of thing you could throw in whatever you have in the fridge. These are going to be a staple on our spring/summer menu! Thanks :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP