Easter Bunny Buns (a cute Easter treat)

Thursday, April 7, 2011

My ten-year-old discovered the recipe for these cute little bunny rolls in a children’s magazine that our church publishes.  She literally was jumping and down with excitement about them and insisted that I make them for the blog as soon as possible.  My six-year-old chimed in that I would probably be the first person on my Facebook to make them.  After I stopped giggling at my kids’ remarkably effective tactics at getting me to make a fun recipe, I decided to go ahead and give them a try.  Smile 

Not too surprisingly, these were quite a hit….with the kids and the adults!  I loved the subtle orange flavoring of these rolls and  the glaze added just a touch of sweetness that made them all the more fun for the kids, but without overpowering them with too much sugar.  It was only on a whim that I decided to try to make the faces using a container of ice cream sprinkles, but since those rolls were the first ones that got gobbled up by my little ones, I definitely think that they’re worth the trouble to add ( on at least a few of them)!    

These cute little bunny buns (or should I call them “rabbit rolls”?) have just become a fun new Easter tradition at our house!
Recipe Source:  Friend Magazine


Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Lara. 

The ingredients:

BUNNY BUNS:

1 Tbs. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup orange juice (I just used the juice from the oranges that I zested for the peel)
2 Tbs. grated orange peel (it took about 2 small/medium oranges)
5-1/2 cups flour ( I used half white, half white whole wheat)
Ice cream sprinkles
(optional for making faces)


GLAZE:

2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs. hot water
2 Tbs. orange juice (or 2 more tablespoons hot water for a plain glaze)
1 tsp. butter

Directions:
  In a medium sized bowl, combine the yeast and the warm water.  Set aside.  In another bowl, heat milk in microwave for about 1 minute 20 seconds or so.  Milk should be hot, but not boiling.  Blend hot milk with sugar, oil, and salt. (NOTE:  Before adding the next ingredients, make sure your milk mixture is  warm to the touch, but not too hot to leave your finger in for a few seconds (110-120 degrees is perfect)).   Then add eggs, yeast with water, orange juice, and orange peel.  Add flour a few cups at a time to make a soft dough.  Knead for 5-10 minutes ( I let my Kitchen-Aid do the hard work for me).  Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.  Cover bowl and place in a warm place.  Allow the dough to rise for 1-2 hours, or until double in size.  Punch dough down and let stand for 10 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a long rectangle 1/2-inch thick.  Cut dough into strips 1/2-inch wide and 14-inches long.  

Roll the dough to make rounded snake shapes.  Reserve 1-2 of the strips to cut into pieces about 1/2-inch long and roll into small balls (for the tails). 


Place one long piece of dough on a greased cookie sheet.  Place one end of the strip over the other to make a loop; bring the end that is underneath up and cross it over the other end.  Place a ball of dough on top of the bottom loop (to be the tail). 

(NOTE:  If you would like to make faces, now is the time.  Make an egg wash with one egg white and one tablespoon of warm water.   Brush over the tops of the bunny buns.   Using a combination of sprinkles, raisins, or whatever,  make a little face at the base of the "ears".  Proceed as directed.)

Cover bunnies and allow to rise in a warm place for 45-60 minutes, until nearly double in size.  Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  

(You can see that we made most of our bunny buns without faces.  They’re not quite as cute, but they were much easier to make and the kids loved them anyway!)

For the glaze, stir powdered sugar, water, orange juice, and butter together.  Frost bunnies with the glaze while still warm.  Makes about 20 bunny buns.  

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Kim April 7, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

I love that last picture of your kiddos eating their bunny buns. I saw some bunny shaped pancakes the other day and thought of you. These are too cute.

Deanne April 7, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

Super cute! Thanks for the idea.

megan @ whatmegansmaking April 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

These are so cute! I've never heard of them before, but now I want to make them :)

Larissa: April 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

So cute! Definitely going to try these with the kids!!

Heather April 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

What a great idea. I'm planning on making these - maybe for a fun spring break activity. I'm sure my kids will love these, as will I. Thanks!

Hillcresthome Prims April 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

I joined your blog because I bake and cook from stracth everythign and I love your blog ,it is awesome. I will be making these!!

Have fun cooking and baking,
Tricia
Hillcrest Home prims

JP April 26, 2011 at 12:00 PM  

I made these this weekend. They were especially cute, but I accidentally added an extra egg, and I think that altered the texture, so they weren't what I expected. I'm going to have to make them right the next time!! I did post a picture though!

Anonymous,  April 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM  

This recipe was printed in the "Friend" childrens magazine more than 20 years ago. My youngest daughter, Miss 30 something, just sent a request for "bunny buns" since it's getting close to Easter.
Now I make them with small grandchildren.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP