Spinach Lasagna Rolls (Healthy Version)

Thursday, April 21, 2011

This healthy spin-off of classic lasagna was was every bit as flavorful (and fun) as I envisioned it would be when I first saw the recipe over at See Jane in the Kitchen.   My kids were fascinated with the whole rolling up aspect of it and surprisingly no one missed the meat at all--even my meat-loving boys.  :) This dish got a unanimous vote from the family to keep it on the keeper list.  

Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

10 lasagna noodles, cooked (this includes one extra, in case one breaks or something)
1 pkg. (10-ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
15 oz. fat free ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt and fresh pepper
1 jar spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions:  Preheat oven to 350°. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.

Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese.

Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 9 rolls. (I made a 1-1/2 batch for my family).

To serve, ladle a little sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.   Enjoy! 


8 comments:

Rebekah April 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM  

I made something just like this from an AllRecipes.com recipe awhile back and thought they were so good!! I had to make it when hubby was out of the house though, because the man hates spinach - the party pooper. I think these are so good, and I love the individual pre-portioned sizes! :)

teresa April 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM  

i'm going to forward this to my friend because i'm pretty sure we're going to eat this for lunch together. my husband won't eat spinach but i love it, and these look awesome!

Cassie April 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM  

Yummy, I love roll lasagna!! I bet this would be tasty with alfredo sauce, also

Rachel April 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM  

My sister made something similar, several years back, and I somehow forgot about them, until I just saw your recipe! (How, I don't know, as they were fabulous!) I'm a huge fan of spinach and think this actually may be something my husband would try, as long as I substitute cottage cheese for the ricotta. (One of those ingredients that he has himself convinced he won't like!)

Katie April 21, 2011 at 9:32 PM  

Now that both my favorite recipe blogs have featured this, I have no excuse not to try it myself!

Julie April 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM  

I've made something similar to this and we loved it! Yours turned out beautifully :)

Unknown April 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

Ooo I keep seeing this take on lasagne. I have to try it!

How well do they hold together? I imagine there is no chance of picking one up?

Nicely fit in a lunchbox though... Hmm

*adds to list*

My latest lasagne was a healthy one: http://irishwishesarespecial.blogspot.com/2011/04/lasagnes-au-celeri-et-aux-carottes.html

I've quite a list of them on my blog at this stage =D
Trying a fish lasagne next

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP