Edible Birds' Nests

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Salty and sweet is one of my favorite flavor combinations and this cute little Easter/Spring treat was as tasty as it was cute!  My kids had a great time creating (and eating) their own little edible nests and I liked that they were easy enough that even a preschooler can make their own independently (other than melting the butterscotch chips).  Once they're set, they're pretty sturdy too, so they would be great for bringing treats into a classroom (to go with a bird unit or a lesson about seasons).  As you can see from the recipe, these are super flexible to make according to your own tastes.  Happy Spring!

If you want to check out a super cute chocolate version go check out Mandy's at Learn, Laugh, Cook ( a great place for recipes with a healthy twist)! 


Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

1 bag stick pretzels  (or chow mein noodles or Corn Chex {for gluten free treats})
1 bag (12-ounces) butterscotch chips (or chocolate chips)
Wax paper

1 bag small robin eggs (or jelly beans)
Peeps (optional) 

Directions for a fun kid activity:  Give each child a small bowl and about 2/3 cup unbroken pretzels.  Have them break pretzels into pieces about 1-inch in length (no need to be exact).   Set aside. 

In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave the butterscotch chips on high for 2 minutes, stopping the microwave every 30 seconds to give them a quick stir, until they are melted and smooth.  

Immediately add a couple of spoonfuls of melted butterscotch chips to each batch of pretzels.

  Stir pretzels and melted chips together, adding more pretzels or melted chips if necessary. 

Immediately have each child pour out their pretzel/melted chip concoction onto wax paper and have them form it into a nest shape, by making them heaped slightly with a rounded shape and a little depression in the middle where their eggs will go. 

Working quickly before the melted butterscotch chips have set, add the robin eggs (or jelly beans). 
I personally thought they looked perfectly cute with just the eggs, but my kids really wanted to add the Peeps on top. 

If using the Peeps, dip the bottom into the melted chips and place over eggs.

  Allow to set for 15-20 minutes or until hardened. 

Pick up and enjoy! 

4 comments:

Mandy April 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

I made a version of these last week! I will have to try your variations and see how they compare to mine. I posted how I did it today on my blog and linked up to this post (b/c I like you!) :) Have a great Easter!

Mandy

http://learn-laugh-cook.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-birds-nest-treats.html

Angela Jensen April 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM  

Try with crunchy chowmein noodles.

JP April 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM  

How cute are these?! I love this idea. I expecially love the Peep on top of the nest (though I do not like to eat them).
Thanks for another great idea!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP