Easy and Delicious Chicken Noodle Soup

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My fourth baby was a screamer.   I held him 24/7 for the first year of his life and even then he screamed a lot.   I was exhausted and living my life in a complete blur, when I woke up one morning when he was two months old with a fever and one of the most horrible pains I'd ever had.  It was mastitis,  and it was 3 days before Christmas and only 5 days before guests started arriving at our house for my sister's wedding.  My husband was a saint helping out with anything he could, but he was busy at work and I was still a miserable mess. I was so overwhelmed and exhausted that I had no idea how I was going to even perform my basic functions of taking care of my family, yet alone prepare for Christmas and a houseful of guests.   It was in that moment of desperation that my guardian angels swooped in.  They brought me dinners, took my kids, and in general made it so I could recover....all in amongst the busyness of  last minute Christmas preparations.   My friends were an answer to my pleading prayers that day. 

So why share all these memories from so long ago?  It's twofold.  First, I wanted to invite you all to look around you  for someone who could use a lift and do something to make their burden a little lighter.  It could be a dinner, it could be babysitting their kids, it could be a lunch date, it could just be being a listening ear.  Someone needs YOU!   I never in a million years would've asked for help, despite the fact that I so desperately needed it right then, but how grateful I am for people who recognized my need and did not take my feeble refusals as an excuse not to help me.  


And the other reason why I share this story, is that that's where I got this recipe from.  This was one of the meals my friend, Denise, brought to me all those years ago.   Even in my feverish state I recognized a winning recipe when I tasted it.  It's been a regular on our winter menu ever since that day and every time I make this super easy (10 minutes beginning to end), but completely hearty and  delicious, chicken noodle soup I am reminded of the kindness and thoughtfulness of dear friends.  

By the way, in case any of you out there are holding a colicky baby right now and wondering if they'll ever stop crying.... Adam is now a bright, happy 2nd grader, who while still quite stubborn, also happens to be the most even tempered of my five children. °Ü°
 Click here for printable recipe.  


The ingredients:

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
4-1/2 cups water
5 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. thyme or marjoram (optional)
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cups frozen soup veggies
2 cups cubed, cooked chicken (I used 1 Costco sized can cooked chicken)
1 can (16-ounce) diced tomatoes
1 cup egg noodles

Directions:  In a saucepan on medium heat, saute chopped onion in oil until soft; about 5 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover.  Simmer for about 8 minutes or until noodles are done and veggies are crisp-tender.  Discard bay leaf. Serve hot.  Makes 6 servings.  Enjoy! 

FOOD STORAGE VERSION: 
 Instead of chopped onions, use 1 Tbs. dried minced onions or 1 tsp. onion powder, skip the sauteing,  and throw in with the rest of the ingredients. 
Instead of frozen soup veggies use 1 can  mixed veggies
Instead of fresh chicken use 2 cups canned, cooked chicken
 


This post is linked to Saturday Swap at Quit Eating Out. 




8 comments:

Denise February 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM  

This is still my standby recipe when I need to take a meal to someone. I always keep all these ingredients in my house and can make this up with just a moment's notice.

Thanks for the memory! xo

ann February 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM  

Five children, god bless you. You're amazing. love this soup. But, I really love the sentiment in your post.

teresa February 15, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

oh bless your heart, colicky babies are so tough. the soup looks like a life saver, love the colors!

Kim February 15, 2011 at 10:03 PM  

It's such a great feeling when someone comes through for you in such a way as this. I think the hardest thing about being a mom is trying to take care of your children when you're sick. This looks like a wonderful soup!

Romney Family February 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

That looks so yummy and my two older children as well as my little 3 month old were/are collicky. My first one was the worst and my little one now comes in at a close second. It makes it hard to find time to cook a good meal.SO thanks for sharing your story and for the quick recipe.
Jessie

Julie February 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM  

What sweet friends you have...we do need to look for opportunities to help each other more. This soup is so lovely and colorful, would be perfect for my husband and dtr with sore throats.

Anonymous,  February 20, 2011 at 7:40 AM  

What a great reminder to look for others to love on through our love of cooking. This looks like the dish that would cheer anyone up. Thanks for linking to Saturday Swap!

annalisa October 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM  

I made this soup tonight for myself and some friends and we all loved it!

The flavor is awesome and I liked how simple it was to make.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP