Meatball Curry Soup

Monday, February 28, 2011

Curry….people tend to have strong opinions about it one way or the other.  Before we were married, my husband spent two years serving as a missionary in England, where he was introduced to curry dishes by some of the foreigners that he served and taught there in England.  So for him, curry is reminiscent of wonderful people and a time of  his life spent in selfless service.  I, however, had no such fond memories attached to curry and have always been a little scared off by it.  The last couple of years, though, at my husband’s encouragement we’ve branched out and added some curry dishes into our menu.  I now very much enjoy the flavor of curry, but still am a little hesitant when serving it to the whole family.  It turned out we didn’t have anything to worry about with this soup though…I don’t know if it the familiarity of the ramen noodles or the ever-exciting presence of meatballs in this dish, but this curry dish adapted from Taste of Home was well-received by the whole crew and is getting added to our family keeper list!

Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:


5 packages (3-ounces each) ramen noodles
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs. peanut oil
1 can (13.5-ounces) coconut milk, divided
1-1/2 Tbs. red curry paste (I found mine in a small tub in the Asian section of the grocery store)
1-1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric
32 frozen mini fully cooked meatballs (about 1/2 ounce each--mine said they were party sized)
4 cups chicken broth
1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, halved and sliced
1/4 cup shredded cabbage
2 tsp. soy sauce
Optional garnishes:  bean sprouts, chow mein noodles, chopped fresh basil, green onions

Directions: Cook noodles according to package directions (discard seasoning packets or save for another use.  Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or saucepan, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute.  Spoon 1/2 cup cream from top of coconut milk and place in pan. 

Add the curry paste, curry powder, and turmeric; cook and stir for 5 minutes.  Stir in meatballs, broth, zucchini, carrot, cabbage, soy sauce, and remaining coconut milk.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until carrot is tender and meatballs are heated through.  Drain noodles; stir into soup.  Garnish with bean sprouts, chow mein noodles, basil, and onions if desired.  Makes 8 servings.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Out of the Box into the Kitchen February 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM  

oh that sounds SO good! yum! plus i got some rice noodles really cheap so i think ill give it a try! I LOVE curry!

Kim February 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM  

I was scared of curry too, but now I love it. This looks terrific with the mini meatballs, the ramen (which my family loves), and the coconut milk. I definitely want to try this one.

Coleens Recipes March 1, 2011 at 2:11 AM  

I've never even tasted curry before, I guess I've always been afraid of it too!! This sounds good, I think I'll try it. Thanks for sharing.

teresa March 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM  

mmmm, such delicious flavors in this soup, i love it, as well as the meatballs!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP