Cheese Tortellini with Roasted Butternut Squash (or Sweet Potatoes)

Monday, February 7, 2011

I discovered this recipe after making a batch of Butternut Squash Soup (totally delicious, by the way) and wanted to find a way to use the leftovers.  I had read that it would make a good pasta sauce, but I still needed a little direction on how to help it all come together.  Then, lo and behold, in my mailbox arrives a magazine from the local grocery store filled with recipes, including this little gem.   Despite it being meat-free, this vegetarian dish was hearty and flavorful, and would be perfect for someone looking for a healthy pasta dish, while trying to avoid the acidity of tomato based sauces.  I made it twice, once with sweet potatoes and once with the butternut squash that it calls for, and actually much preferred the flavor and texture of the sweet potato cubes.

 Click here for printable recipe. 



The ingredients:

2 lbs. butternut squash or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 Tbs. finely diced fresh sage (divided)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbs. butter, chopped
3 cups butternut squash soup (I found mine in a box near the chicken broth or use the leftovers from this yummy recipe)
2 pkg. (9-oz each) cheese tortellini, cooked 2-3 minutes, drained

Directions:  Preheat oven to 450°.  Toss squash (or sweet potatoes) with 1 Tbs. sage, oil, salt, pepper, and chopped butter in mixing bowl.
 
Spread mixture in even layer on baking sheet.
 
Roast 15-18 minutes until golden brown. 
Add roasted squash/sweet potatoes, soup, and remaining tablespoon sage to skillet on medium; bring to a simmer.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired.  Add pasta.
 
Cook 1 minute.  Makes 5-6 servings.
 
Enjoy!

6 comments:

Quirky Jessi February 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM  

This is the third post this week I've seen that featured pasta with butternut squash. I don't think I'm going to be able to avoid making my own this upcoming week. It sounds so yummy and I really like the idea of using cheese tortellini for it.

JenJ February 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM  

Hello my dear!!! I just wanted to let you know how absolutely awesome you are!! I mean seriously, you always have been wonderful, amazing, good to the core, dedicated and hard working, but now you have an INGREDIENT INDEX!!!!!!! I love you and thank you a million zillion times!!!

Cassie February 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM  

I've been known to use leftover butternut squash soup with cheese raviolis, very similar to what you've done here! I'll have to try it with sweet potato. One doesn't usually think of potatoes and pasta but it looks like it would work!

teresa February 7, 2011 at 7:17 PM  

this is great, i actually have tortellini that needs to be used, and all the recipes i can find are cheese and cream laden. what a beautiful, fresh idea!

SnoWhite February 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM  

glad this works with sweet potatoes -- my husband will be much more excited to eat it this way.

Debbie February 8, 2011 at 6:44 AM  

I make tortellini often and just normally have tomato sauce on it. This is a really nice idea and I'll have to try it the next time I make it....

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP