Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Ever

Friday, February 4, 2011

Powdered, schmowdered….this hot chocolate mix is a cinch to make and comes together just as instantly as those little envelopes off the shelf.  The difference with this mix is that it actually tastes like REAL chocolate.    I found this little treasure over at  Virtual Goody Plate, who originally got it from Cook's Country.     Remember…the higher the quality of chocolate you use, the better it will taste! 


Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips OR 12 ounces high quality dark chocolate, uniformly chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS TO MAKE THE MIX:

Microwave chocolate, cream and salt in large bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours. 

Scoop out 3 tablespoons chilled chocolate mixture at a time and roll into ten 2-inch balls.  (NOTE:  I made the balls smaller sized for my kids). Individually wrap balls in plastic wrap and transfer to Ziploc bag.  Refrigerate for 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months. 

TO MAKE A CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE:
 
Combine 1 unwrapped chocolate ball and 1 cup whole or low-fat milk in large mug.  Microwave, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Serve hot and top with whipping cream or marshmallows.   




Enjoy!

I’m linking up with Kim at Quit Eating Out for her “Saturday Swap”.


12 comments:

ann February 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

Lara, This is my favorite treat. Looks like I'm not the only one!

Lyndas recipe box February 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

I saw this in Cook's Country but hadn't tried it yet; you've got me sold!

Anonymous,  February 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM  

Oh boy does this sound AMAZING on a day like today! Or a week like this week. OR a winter like this winter. :-) What a fun new way to make a cocoa. Cannot wait to try this! Thanks a bunch for linking to Saturday Swap!!! Have a wonderful weekend Friend!

Rachel February 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM  

I've never seen anything like this before, but it sure does sound perfect for this cold weather!!!

SnoWhite February 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM  

oh boy! Love those delicious chocolate drops. Bet they do make an excellent cup of hot cocoa.

You can bet we will try this!

Karey February 4, 2011 at 5:00 PM  

Only problem is I would probably eat those balls straight out of the fridge :)

Kim February 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM  

This is a really fun idea, but I agree with Karey. I would be tempted to eat all the chocolate balls. LOL!

Love the pics of your little one enjoying herself!

teresa February 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM  

this is genius! we love hot chocolate, but i'm with you, can't do the powdered stuff. we'll have to try this!

Hilary February 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM  

Holy crap that looks good.
Must.
not.
print.
it.
but I Want to...
but I shouldn't....
but I want to...

Polly Scott February 5, 2011 at 10:35 AM  

Yummy! Anything chocolate is amazing. I will try this today! And tomorrow!

Romney Family February 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM  

that looks like heaven in a cup!!!

Unknown February 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

I think that might be genius.

Found you on MMB.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP