Sausage, Tomato, and Arugula Fettuccine

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This eye-catching Italian dish was only about 20 minutes to put together and was hearty and satisfying….comfort food at its best.    I got this keeper recipe from Teresa at A Blog About Food who got it from the December issue of Cooking Lite which bragged that it's only 356 calories per serving.  We served it up with some French Peasant Bread and gobbled up a double batch in no time!  

Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

1 pkg. (9-oz.) refrigerated fettuccine (I used a mix of spinach and regular fettuccine)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 lb. Italian sausage (hot or mild according to your preference)
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 cups baby arugula leaves (or baby spinach) (chop it up if the big pieces will scare the kids off)
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan


Directions: Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt.  Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2/3 cup cooking liquid. 

While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Remove casings from sausage.  Break sausage into bite-sized pieces and add to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently to crumble.  Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. 

Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper; cover and cook 2 minutes.  Remove cover and mash tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon to break them up.  Cover pan; reduce heat to low, and cook 3 minutes. 

Remove pan from heat.  Add pasta, reserved 2/3 cup cooking liquid, and arugula (or spinach); toss well.  Sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese.  Makes 4-6 servings. 

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jen February 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM  

I can't wait to try that. It looks amazing!

Rachel February 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

I most definitely need to try this!!! I've never bought refrigerated fettuccine--is there a huge difference in taste between that kind and the kind in the box?

teresa February 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM  

it looks so good! i love the spinach fettucini!

Martha A. February 24, 2011 at 12:24 AM  

Man, I wish I would have seen this earlier today! Oh, well there is always next week!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP