Garlic-Tomato Pasta (with 12 whole cloves of garlic)

Monday, February 21, 2011

I found the recipe for this garlicky piece of heaven over at Stirring the Pot, where Kim originally got it from a Mark Bittman cookbook.  Don't be intimidated by the 12 cloves of garlic...when I say "garlicky" I mean it in a nice pleasant flavorful way, not in an overwhelming way at all.  The dish was easy to make and we all unanimously agreed on a five star rating for this one.   Thank you to Kim for sharing a wonderful recipe!

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients: 


2 Tbs. olive oil
3 Tbs. butter
12 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 cup thick sliced bacon, cubed
1 can (15-ounces) crushed tomatoes, drained
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound ziti or penne pasta
1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
1 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese, or a combo

Directions:

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Combine the oil/butter, garlic, and bacon in a medium to large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until the garlic becomes deep golden, nearly brown, all over, 10-15 minutes. (NOTE:  keep the heat on medium-low or the garlic will burn).

Add the drained crushed tomatoes, along with salt and pepper, to the skillet. Stir and simmer while you salt the boiling water and cook the pasta.

Drain the pasta when it is tender but firm, reserving a little of the cooking water and adding it to the sauce if it appears dry. Toss the pasta with the sauce and most of the basil, along with the cheese.

Mince the remaining basil, garnish the pasta with it, and serve.

Enjoy! 

9 comments:

SnoWhite February 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM  

Looks awesome!! You are quickly becoming my go-to pasta girl.

Kim February 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM  

Oh yeah! Bring on the garlic:) I'm so glad that you all enjoyed this. The pictures are making me crave it all over again.

Thanks for the shout out!

annalisa February 22, 2011 at 1:19 AM  

Mom made this tonight and we all gobbled it down! It was so easy to make and very flavorful, but not too much so. I will definitely make this again!

teresa February 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM  

LOVE garlic, and love kim's blog as well. this looks just delicious!

Martha A. February 24, 2011 at 12:23 AM  

That looks amazing! This will be on my list to try!

Katie February 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

In my entire life, I don't think I've ever used more than 4 cloves at once. Making this will feel like taking on a double dare! And I can't wait! I LOVE the taste of garlic.

Miz Helen February 26, 2011 at 8:10 AM  

Your Garlic Tomato Pasta looks so delicious. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to Full Plate Thursday, the linky is open all week end. Thank you for sharing and have a nice day!

Martha A. March 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

You have the best pasta recipes!

Candace Lynn Grubbs March 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM  

i used your recipe and gave you credit on my food blog i loved it! thank you! heres the link http://mamagrubbsgrub.blogspot.com/2011/03/garlic-tomato-pasta.html

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP