Braided Bread

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Because this recipe was a staple in my home growing up, I sometimes wonder if that is the reason I love it so much. It has become a comfort food as it reminds me of the treasured memories of being with my mother in her kitchen. But then when I take this bread to a dinner party, deliver it to a friend in need, or serve it to company, I am reminded that it's just plain good on it's own... childhood memories or not! It is my most requested recipe by far. 

Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:


2 Tbs. yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
1/4 cup soft butter (not melted)
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. (2.9-oz.) dry custard mix (or vanilla pudding mix)
3-4 cups flour (I usually use all white flour, but Lara's pictures are shown using 2 cups of white whole wheat flour and the rest white)


Directions:  In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add softened butter, salt, and dry custard mix.  Stir until dissolved.  Gradually add flour to right consistency.  Knead dough 12 times (or 2 minutes in mixer).
Divide dough into 6 equal portions and roll out into a long shape.  Braid 3 together for a loaf. 
Place on greased cookie sheet.  Let rise 2 hours (or until doubled). 
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.  Makes 2 loaves.
NOTE:  Don't use sugar free varieties of custard or vanilla pudding mixes.   I made my first batch using Bird's Custard mix and I didn't realize until after the loaf was hard and flavorless that it contained absolutely no sugar.  I recommend just using the Jello brand custard or pudding mixes.
Enjoy!!!

**************

Thank you to my cousin Trisha for sharing one of her very family favorite recipes!  We've enjoyed this Trisha-made bread many times and loved it every time (even thawed out after being frozen).  I just started making it myself  and it is absolutely wonderful....a new family favorite for us!


One more word of warning from Lara:  Whatever you do, if you happen to be totally exhausted from overextending yourself once again and you think you're going to make some of your cousin's bread so you can take a few pictures for her post....

(Yep, I stopped in the middle of  arranging the ingredients and fell sound asleep right there on the chair.  It wasn't a long nap though, since I was quickly awakened by the sounds of my daughter clicking away on the camera.)


Don't miss a single recipe, sign up on the right for free email updates. 

******

14 comments:

Clarinda May 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

I love bread, and this looks great. Do you think it would work with white and rye flours?

Tammy May 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

that is too funny that you fell asleep like that, you must have been tired! I can't wait to try this recipe!

Lara May 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe, Trisha! :) It's as beautiful as it is delicious!

Trisha May 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM  

Oh Lara, don't worry... my family has several secret photos of places I've fallen asleep! :-) Awesome.

Clarinda, the original recipe never used anything but white flour... and it is most delicious that way (and probably least healthy, but still). But I would love for you to try rye and see how that works out!! Let me know!

Also, did I forget to mention that I never serve this bread without honey-butter on the side? Yummm...

Anonymous,  May 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

So, I've always wanted to start making bread, but without a mixer (and being a wimp), I've only given it a couple of unsuccessful tries. When you say "knead 12 times", does that mean, push into it, turn it - 12 times? That really doesn't seem like very much kneading. Is it too good to be true?
Katherine

Julie May 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM  

That's a beautiful loaf of bread...no wonder it's so often requested. Looks like you were bone tired!

Frieda Loves Bread May 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM  

Beautiful! Interesting that it has pudding in it...I'll have to give it a try!

Barillafab4.blogspot.com June 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM  

made this yesterday...insanely good! thank you :)

Trisha June 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

Thank you so much! You know there are certain recipes that are comforting to me because I grew up with them. I sometimes wonder if I love them so much for their 'comfort food' quality. To know that people are out there trying the recipe and loving it warms my heart!

Clarinda October 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM  

It took me awhile, but I finally tried out this recipe and blogged about it. You can read about it here. It worked deliciously with rye flour. Thanks for the great recipe.

Amy & Mike January 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM  

This bread was so easy to work with - turned out beautiful and tasted even better! It was a huge hit at our New Year's Eve party! Thanks!

Trisha January 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM  

Amy & Mike, so glad you enjoyed it! Love to hear that because it is truly one of my favorite go-to recipes! Thank you for trying it!

Chalyse November 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM  

I cannot find the custard in any of my local stores! Do you need to buy it online? I am very disappointed! I wanted to make this bread today.

Lara November 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM  

Chalyse,
The custard is readily available in our local Safeway (look up high and low in the pudding section, because it's not always where you expect it to be), but I know my cousin has mentioned that she's had to order it online before depending on where she was living at the time. I recommend trying it with the vanilla pudding if you can't find the custard. It's not quite as good, but still excellent!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP