Pineapple-Coconut Watergate Cake

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I have no idea why someone named this tropical tasting, cool and creamy dessert such a politically loaded name as  "Watergate", but no matter....the only scandal that you'll have to worry about when you make this cake is who gets the last piece! 

Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:***(note:  instead of Cool Whip, I used 1 cup of whipped whipping cream combined with about 1/3 cup sugar)

1 yellow cake mix, prepared and baked as directed on box
1 pkg. (8-ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
3 cups milk, divided
2 pkg. (3-ounces each) instant pudding (I used vanilla, but it's more traditional to use pistachio pudding)
1 container (8-ounces) Cool Whip, thawed
1 can (20-ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup coconut, toasted** (see note below)

Directions:  Bake cake as directed on package.  Set aside and allow to cool completely.  Beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup milk in large bowl until smooth.  Add pudding mixes and remaining 2-1/2 cups milk.  Whip until smooth.  Fold in Cool Whip.  Pour over cooled cake and smooth out.  Top with drained crushed pineapple and toasted coconut.  Refrigerate 2-3 hours or until topping is set.  Serve cold.  Enjoy! 

**NOTE:  You can toast the coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat for around 5 minutes, or until lightly browned  or darker if you like. 

Don't miss a single recipe....sign up for free email updates.



***

4 comments:

Rachel May 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM  

This sounds like a perfect summer dessert! I will have one happy hubby if I surprise him with this one!

Meg Luby May 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM  

ugh, you're killing me! i just went on a diet and now i want to hop off it! this looks AMAZING! thanks for sharing!! :)
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Judy May 25, 2011 at 8:27 AM  

The Watergate is the name of a hotel. They probably were famous for this cake like the Waldorf is for the salad.

Lara May 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM  

Thanks Mike and Judy. I even live in the DC area and know that the Watergate is a hotel and yet that aspect of it never dawned on me! I'm sure that's exactly right! :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP