Mango Quinoa Salad (with Grilled Chicken)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

It's early on a gorgeous Thursday morning.  The sun is shining and the kids are all starting to pop out of bed while I sit here, typing up this wonderful, super-healthy dish straight from the recipe archives of The Biggest Loser.    I'm reminiscing (from just two days ago) about how much we all enjoyed the hearty flavor and texture of this superfood dish and how perfectly the fresh hot grilled chicken complemented the savory and sweet combination of flavors.....perfect for a Memorial Day barbecue!    It got me to wondering..... if I added a few black beans and mango slices to the plate of Mom's Breakfast Cake I have in front of me, could I count that as healthy too? 

Source:  Biggest Loser and Our Best Bites
Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

2 cups cooked quinoa at room temperature, or chilled* (you can usually find quinoa near the rice in the grocery store)
1 can (15.5-ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbs. red wine vinegar (we only used 2 tablespoons and thought it was perfect)

3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1-2 Tbs. lime juice
1 Tbs. sugar (optional)
salt, pepper--to taste
Grilled chicken (if using as a main dish)

Directions:
 
* You can cook the quinoa in plain water or in vegetable/chicken broth.  By itself we prefer the quinoa cooked in water, but the broth cooked quinoa was fabulous in the salad. 

Place quinoa in a large bowl.   Add mango, red pepper, green onion, black beans, and cilantro.   In a small bowl, combine vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, and sugar. Whisk until smooth and pour on top of salad.  Toss to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.  For main dish, serve at room temperature with hot grilled chicken.  For a side dish, serve chilled.  Makes 4-6 servings.  Enjoy! 



6 comments:

Deanne May 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

I just looked for Quinoa at Wegman's. I couldn't find it! What foods is it by? Pasta? I'd love to try this recipe.

Kim May 26, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

This looks like an absolutely gorgeous summer meal and also one that would be great for a picnic. Very pretty!

Lyndas recipe box May 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM  

This looks so delicious and healthy! I'm bookmarking as I need some more healthy eating ideas...thanks!

teresa May 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

i just love colorful summer foods like this, how delicious!!

DeeAnn Franks June 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM  

We're trying this tonight. Quinoa is in the boxed rice section at Wegmans. Right before the macaroni and cheese section. They carry red quinoa. Love it and all the rest of the ingredients, so I'm sure we'll love this.

FJKramer June 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

I plan on giving this a try. Seems like it would be delicious and I'm always looking for strong flavors to use with quiona.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP