Brownie mix in a jar

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 11's holiday recipe is for a yummy treat that doubles as a great gift.   I love this idea, Jen!  Make sure to come back every day in December for a new holiday recipe!

'Tis the season to give. Here is a simple gift in a jar to share with friends and neighbors. This is a recipe for an easy and yummy brownie mix in a jar. I got this from a Nestle Toll house recipe and I have used it many times in the past. In fact I used this a couple years ago with a group of 4 year olds to make their moms a Mothers Day present. The kids all had fun pressing the ingredients down into the jars. (Just make sure hands are clean first!)

Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Jen. 

The Ingredients:

1 2/3 c sugar
3/4 c cocoa
1 1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c chocolate chips
chopped nuts (optional)
1 wide mouth quart jar* (not pictured)
2-3 inch square of fabric and some ribbon

The Directions:
Place the ingredients, in the order listed in a wide mouth quart jar. After each ingredient, make sure you reach down in the jar and press down the ingredients so that they are packed in tight. (thus the reason for the wide mouth jar so you can reach your hand inside). I found that it was easiest to use a funnel (plastic or paper folded) to add the cocoa powder. Press down on the cocoa powder with a paper towel or napkin so that it doesn't stick to your hands. You'll need to use a paper towel (dry) to wipe down the sides of the jar if there is any cocoa residue. (sorry, I forgot to take a picture. My hands were dirty at the time) Make sure you really press down on the flour to get enough space for the chocolate chips. When it is all done, screw on the lid.Now place your fabric square on top and secure it around with a ribbon. (I found using a slip knot was easier to loop it around the fabric without it sliding all over.)

Attach a recipe card with the following instructions on it:

"PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Pour brownie mix into a large bowl and stir. Add 3/4 cup melted butter, 2 large eggs, 2 Tbsp water and 2 tsp vanilla extract and stir well. Spread into prepared baking pan. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Makes about 2 dozen brownies."


Now, you're probably wondering if these are any good. Because you don't want to give something to someone and not know the end results. So, I decided to do that for you.

Pour the mix in bowl and blend well.Add wet ingredients.Press/spread into greased pan. (the mixture was thick and my son had fun pressing it into the pan)Bake 18-25 minutes. (I actually did 22, but every one's oven is different).I really like these because they are so chocolaty. You could dust them with powdered sugar or as a special treat use mint chocolate chips in the mix. These are certainly easy to make as a gift and then to make again as a treat.
*Note: You may notice from the pictures that it doesn't look like all the ingredients are in this particular jar. And you're right. Unfortunately I can't get quart jars here in France and this particular jar was about 200 ml too small for this recipe. But, trust me, I've done this recipe before in the states with a quart jar. Just make sure that you press all the ingredients down to make room for the next one.

1 comments:

Karey December 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM  

I love these easy jar gifts! It's nice to have recipes like this on hand when you're in a pinch for a gift :)

And - hi! - you live in France?! That's awesome!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP