Lime Glazed-Coconut Snowball Cookies

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 13's holiday treat recipe features these beautiful melt-in-your mouth snowball cookies.  Be sure to come back every day in December for a new holiday recipe! 

My husband does not believe the holiday season is complete unless we've had some of Grandma Sandy's snowball cookies, so I shouldn't have been too surprised when I was drawn to these cookies at a cookie exchange last year.  They still have that same melt-in-your mouth texture as Grandma's, but with a little zip of lime and coconut.  My daughter and I have become mildly obsessed and have made them several times since last year.  While I could never replace that old classic recipe (the best kind of recipe if you ask me), I think we simply will have both versions on the cookie tray now! 

Recipe Source:  my friend, Kylee W.


Here's what they look like if you don't put the coconut in the blender first. 
 
Click here for printable recipe

Posted by Lara.


The ingredients:


SNOWBALL COOKIES:
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. grated lime zest
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbs. cream cheese, room temperature

GLAZE:
1 Tbs. cream cheese, room temperature
3 Tbs. lime juice
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped in food processor or blender

Directions: 

FOR COOKIES:  In large bowl, mix flour, lime zest, sugar, and salt on low speed until combined. With mixer running on low, add butter 1 piece at a time; continue to mix until mixture looks crumbly and slightly wet, about 1 minute longer. 

Add vanilla and cream cheese and mix  on low until dough just begins to form large clumps, about 30 seconds. 

Use hands to roll dough into 1-inch balls.  Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 1-1/2 inches apart.  Bake one batch at a time in 375-degree oven until lightly browned, about 12 minutes.  Cool to room temperature.


FOR THE GLAZE:  Whisk cream cheese and 2 tablespoons lime juice in medium bowl until combined and no lumps remain.  Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth, adding remaining lime juice as needed until glaze is thin enough to spread easily. 


Dip tops of cookies into glaze and scrape away excess,
then dip into coconut.  Set cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet; let stand until glaze dries and sets, about 20 minutes.  Cookies are best the next day.    Store tightly covered. 


Enjoy!

Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

6 comments:

annalisa December 13, 2011 at 11:07 PM  

Those look scrumptious! I love coconut and Russian tea cakes. So combining the two sounds awesome!

R,  December 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM  

They sound like cookies I would really like. I even have coconut and lime right now. Think I'll make these for the Christmas Party tomorrow.

Debbie December 14, 2011 at 6:38 AM  

Love lime and coconut. These are a great addition to a cookie tray!

K December 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM  

Do you think these would be good with lemon rather than lime? I have a lemon tree and am always looking for good ways to use my lemons. (o:

Katie December 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM  

Kylee brought these to a cookie exchange last year and they were the first ones I ate! YUM!

Hillcresthome Prims December 15, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

WOOOOHOOOO, I have everything to make these awesome cookies and I am making them TODAY!!!
Thank you for posting a great cookie goodie for me to make!

Warm Hugs,
Tricia

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP