Merry Christmas!

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas from our house to yours! 


About two weeks after this picture was taken, our oldest son was diagnosed with leukemia (AML). Although he is now in remission, I still get a tear in my eye every time I see this picture.  I see how thin and pale Spencer looks in this picture and think how, at that moment, we were still completely clueless as to the monster that was ravaging his body.  This picture truly ended up being a final portrait of the relatively carefree lives we had led up to that point.  

 Although you probably got to this page by searching for cute matching pajamas (which we got here  or click here to see this year's versions from Amazon ),  I ask you that you also take this as an opportune moment to thank God for your blessings, to hold your children a little tighter, and to look out for those around you who could use an extra measure of love in their lives.  The kind of love that sustained us through some of the darkest moments of our lives.

Although this journey with our son's illness was one of the most difficult things our family has ever faced, it was also a time when we felt the presence of God in our lives more acutely than ever before.  

May God bless you and your family this Christmas season! 

****************************

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."     

Isaiah 41:10 

19 comments:

annalisa December 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

Merry Christmas! That's a great photo of you all!

Coleens Recipes December 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

That's the BEST family photo I've seen all Christmas.

Kim December 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

I agree with Coleen. I think your picture rocks! Merry Christmas.

SnoWhite December 25, 2011 at 11:43 PM  

Fantastic photo! Merry Christmas, Lara!

Clarinda December 26, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

So cute!
But where are Ellie's shoes? :)

Merry Christmas!!

Lara January 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM  

Who needs shoes when it's 50+ degrees outside?! We figured if we weren't going to have a white Christmas, then a Christmas where you can go barefoot for a few minutes was probably the next best thing!

Rebekah,  September 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM  

Love your matching pajamas! I'm trying to find something similar for our family this year. Would you mind sharing where these can be purchased?

Lara September 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM  

We got the pajamas from here:

http://search.chasing-fireflies.com/search?asug=&w=christmas+pajamas&x=0&y=0

Anonymous,  November 7, 2012 at 3:34 AM  

Thank you for sharing, I was looking for cute PJ's but it made pause for a while just to give my babies a squeeze! Hugs to you and your family! - and greetings from Germany.

Anonymous,  November 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM  

Thank you for sharing your story. I came across your photo looking for cute matching pjs. My son just turned 3 so I want to start some traditions w/ him. By searching for traditions, I came across your story. I will definitely be holding my son a little closer tonight and all through the Holidays. I'll be praying for your family, which is a very beautiful one! Merry Christmas and God bless! :)

Holly S. December 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM  

What a precious family you have!
May God bless your Christmas this year.

Unknown December 6, 2012 at 2:05 AM  

Thank you for sharing your story. I too was looking for the link to the adorable pajamas and then paused to say a prayer of thanks and gratitude...thank you:)

K.L. Walton December 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM  

What a precious reminder in the midst of Christmas shopping! God has used your words today!!

Anonymous,  October 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM  

I was looking for Christmas jammies when I happened upon your family. I needed to read your message more. Thank you. I will squeeze my babies a little harder tonight, and I am sending up a prayer hoping that your son is well.

Anonymous,  November 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM  

Wow! Your family is beautiful and you are still touching lives years later. Thank you for sharing your famiiy, and reminding me treasure mine even more. My prayers tonight are devoted to you and your family.

In Christ,

Rere December 13, 2013 at 8:36 AM  

Thank you so much for the help with the pj's but more importantly with the reminder of what the spirit of Christmas is really about ,LOVE !! I wish your son and family much love and hope. & happiness. I wish you a blessed holiday. Sometimes with the craziness of Christmas we get overwhelmed and under appreciative. worrying about who's getting what. Forgetting our family alive and well is all we really need. Maureen

Nadine November 24, 2014 at 3:45 AM  

Sending thoughts and prayers for your ʻohana. God bless.

Thank you for the reminder to hug our keiki tighter. We have five keiki...3 boys and 2 girls...your photo reminded me of us.

Without even knowing you, I know you are all a strong family.

Wishing you all a christmas is filled with lots of smiles and hugs.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP