Candy Cane Rice Krispy Treats

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 21 of our holiday treat series features these fun candy cane (shaped and flavored) Rice Krispy treats.  Kids are sure to adore them and since they're easy to make and allergy friendly (no nuts, no eggs), these are perfect for serving at a classroom holiday party! 

One of my kids has a peanut allergy, so every class party I volunteer to bring treats. Every child (young and old) loves Rice Krispy treats. Years ago I found a
Rice Krispy treats cookbook in the clearance aisle of a bookstore. I can tell you that this book has revolutionized the way I make these treats. I had no idea they were so versatile. These are peppermint flavored treats shaped into candy canes. According to my boys the kids at school "went crazy over these!"
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Jen.

Ingredients:
1/4 c butter
1 bag (10-ounces) mini marshmallows (large ones work, but take longer to melt)
red food coloring
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
6 cups Rice Krispies (or generic brand)
non-stick spray

The Directions:
In a large non stick pan, melt the butter. When melted add the marshmallows and melt together, stirring frequently. You may need to spray your stirring spoon with non-stick spray to help it not get sticky.Once the marshmallows are completely melted this is the time to remove it from the heat and add colorings and flavorings. Today we're using a few drops of red food coloring and some peppermint extract. You can add anything from spices to extracts to even a couple Tbsp pudding mix. (Banana nut bread flavored rice krispy treats anyone?!) It's so fun to experiment. Anyway, mix it in thoroughly and then add cereal.Mix the cereal in melted marshmallows until evenly coated.In order to shape them you'll need to work quickly. Have your non-stick spray handy to spray your hands so the marshmallow mixture doesn't stick. Work with the mixture immediately when it's not too hot to handle. (about a couple minutes after mixing it all together).

For the candy canes, scoop (with a spoon) about a fist full size of mixture into your hand. Squeeze it into a rope. Make sure that it will keep its shape. You may need to squeeze firmly. (like playing with playdough)
When it is formed into a rope, bend the top part to resemble a cane. Repeat quickly so that the mixture in the pan doesn't cool too much thus making it harder to shape. You'll have to respray your hands every few canes so that it doesn't get too sticky. I made about 40-50 little 2 inch sized ones (I was baking for two school classes). You can make them as big as you want. Yes, you can press them into a jello roll pan and then use a candy cane cookie cutter to cut them out as well. But then you have left over scraps to piece together. (or eat). I needed every last bit of mixture so I would have enough, so used my hands. These will keep for a couple of days in an air tight container.Last year I colored the marshmallows green and then formed them into wreaths. When cooled, I stuck red hot candies on the wreaths (with corn syrup, or small amount of frosting) and the kids at the school loved them. The possibilities are endless. Just use your imagination.

1 comments:

Dining Alone December 21, 2011 at 10:46 AM  

What an awesome and tasty idea!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP