No-Bake Gingersnap Balls

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 8 of our Holiday Baking Series features this delicious looking no-bake treat from Jen. 

I love no-bake treats!  And these were  the perfect treat
for a busy day, because they're quick, easy, and you don't have to turn on your oven.    I love all things gingerbread and gingersnap, so I knew I had to try them as soon as I found the recipe in my new Christmas Cookies catalog, PILCookbooks.com,  (I love those checkout line mini cookbooks!)  This is a perfect project to get your kids involved, but hopefully your kids don't think of them as snowballs and throw them at each other. Not like mine did that (but I'm sure it crossed their minds)...

Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Jen.

The Ingredients:
1 c crushed gingersnap cookies (around 20-25 cookies depending on how big they are. Make sure they are the crunchy ones. The ones from Ikea would be awesome!)
3 Tbsp corn syrup (maybe more depending on how crispy your cookies are)
2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter*
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
pinch ground cloves (optional)
1/3 c powdered sugar

*The picture has sunflower seed butter. My son is severely allergic to peanuts, so we don't have any peanut butter in the house. I'm happy to say that sunflower butter is an awesome substitute. I wouldn't use soy butter, unless you really like it. I personally don't like the aftertaste.

The Directions:
Make sure the cookies are crushed finely into crumbs. If there are big chunks of cookies, they won't hold together very well. (This is a good opportunity to take out your frustration at not being done with your Christmas shopping on the baggie of cookies. Wack away!)

Combine corn syrup and peanut butter (or PB substitute) and mix well. Helpful tip: If you spray your Tbsp with non-stick spray before measuring the corn syrup, then the syrup will slide right out. You can add the spices if desired and mix well. I personally think that the spice flavor of the gingersnap was a little bit lost within the PB and powdered sugar so the added spices help to keep the gingersnap flavor. But it is totally optional and still super yummy if you don't add the cinnamon and cloves.

Add crushed gingersnaps and mix well. It should hold together without being too sticky. If it is crumbly and not sticking together, add a couple tsp of corn syrup but just enough to hold it together.

Take spoonfuls of dough and shape into 1 inch balls. (you may need to apply a little pressure to keep their shape). Roll in powdered sugar until coated.
Makes approximately 2 dozen balls. Assuming of course that you don't sample the mixture before you roll them in sugar. These are best eaten within a day or two because the powdered sugar will seep into the cookie and then it will lose its whiteness. (Unless you roll it in more sugar that is. Hey, I never said these were good for you!)
Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates!

2 comments:

Lara December 9, 2011 at 7:08 AM  

I'm adding gingersnaps and sunflower butter to my grocery list. We don't even have nut allergies and still that combination sounds good!

Clarinda December 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM  

Ooh! I love no-bake anything. I can't wait to try these out. Thanks for the recipe.

**My word verification is "makey," which is what I totally want to do. lol.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP